1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 Beep at Startup, No Audio, But MFD works

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sweathog76, Jun 21, 2008.

1. sweathog76

sweathog76 Junior Member

I have a 2004 with about 52,000 miles and I'm having some audio problems. When I start the car it beeps once and then I'm not able to hear any more audio (no beeps or radio). So, when I press MFD buttons, no beeps and no radio on either AM/FM or cd. The radio (non-jbl) is still working as it stops at local stations when I press scan but no audio output from the speakers. Also, I can switch around on the MFD, just it doesn't beep when I do change screens. I don't have any add-ons (e.g., dice, ipod interface, etc) so I don't know what to think (other than bigger MFD problems soon).

Is this a symptom of a failing MFD? Or, something else, maybe? Any ideas? I searched around but did not find anything similar. The closest I could find were several posts describing how people had non-repsonsive radios (wouldn't power on and stated "audio off").

Thanks!

2. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    what does the MFD show for AC settings? If it says to check the AC connections you probably have an issue with the MFD communicating with the rest of the systems. Does it still show you consumption information? If you have those problems too then the MFD needs to be fixed. The fix is easy, 30 minutes and a soldering iron. If all that is OK then I have no idea. When my MFD died you could still hear the radio playing.

The beeps you hear when you press on the MFD are generated from the radio (from what I got outof hobbit's extensive work). So maybe the radio has an output problem. Have you checked radio connections?

3. Jo_Vincent

Jo_Vincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like your MFD is toast. My wife's 2004 Prius had almost identical symptoms when her MFD went out. Try the A/C button like suggested.
    Good luck. :cool: