1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... #1 darling of the Prius chat (e.g., yours truly, excepted) ~

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by asjoseph, Jun 21, 2023.

1. asjoseph

asjoseph Samuel, '04 Ruthiemobile

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even someone with the most basic education in high school physics, chemistry and biology knows that what you're suggesting is not based on facts!

People who are intelligent and paying attention are realizing all kinds of significant changes to our planet's essential ecological functions that are deeply concerning...

#2 PriusCamper, Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You expect a planet to stay static?
    Just the way you 'like' it?

uh-huh....
    @ Ms Thunberg: She's not a kid any more, so she can no longer be used as a human shield.
    If she uses the John F Kerry model of carbon throughput, we get to call her out on it.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Prius is not going to stay static. Rust will consume its steel parts. UV will break down its plastic parts. Entropy will have its way.

All of that is true, and would at the same time seem a bit tangential in a conversation about whether I should have my foot so far down on the go pedal while approaching a tree.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Modern cars have automatic emergency braking.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Planets may have something analogous. :eek:

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We are intelligent human beings. We have faults, but I believe in humanity. I believe intelligence from the human race will fix our planet. To be so "doomsday" does nothing positive. It creates fear.........which in turn, stifles creativity.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "we have a five year period to stop the use of fossil fuels, or face inevitable extinction."

the way i read it, the five years is to stop using fossil fuels.

the inevitable extinction has no time period claim. so she can still be right, or wrong.

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    In light of all that has happened in this country......and around the world.......in the last 7 years or so......
    I think that the average intelligence of the human race is going south FAST.

We seem to be more concerned with FORCING everybody else to see EVERYTHING the way
    that "you" see it than with trying to make rational decisions about things.

So.....seriously now......which segment of the IQ spectrum is growing the fastest, all over the world ???
    Hint: It is not the brilliant end of the scale.

Do people who are really stupid KNOW how stupid that they really ARE ???
    :(

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say people are basically the same as they always have been, but media has changed

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Past mass extinctions can play out over thousands of years after the triggering event.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Intelligent, compassionate human beings who are truly self-aware have the ability to think for themselves when it comes to deciding right or wrong.

Meanwhile, we're stuck on the same planet as vindictive, oppressive human beings who are loyal to whoever has the most control or power to force their will on everyone else, especially with money. These folks are incapable of thinking for themselves and will shun and personally attack those that do because they see them a threat, rather than the humanity part that makes you truly human.

#12 PriusCamper, Jun 22, 2023
    Montgomery likes this.
  13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusCamper likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Capitalism is incentivized to engineer as much stupidity into the human population as possible... It's also always been the way that tyrants control people. OP is a good example of being a victim of this tyranny.

That's why democracy can only exist if people are educated and OP is an example of what happens when education is eliminated.

After all, when the US Journalist Khashoggi was ordered dismembered by the world's most pathetic King, Muhhamed Bonesaw, who listened in as it happened, the last article this journalist wrote before his death was how the majority of the people of Saudi Arabia are kept uneducated and illiterate so that the monarchy doesn't loose control of their wealth and power. But that can't succeed forever... The house of Saud will fall sooner than later.

#14 PriusCamper, Jun 22, 2023
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with any luck, sooner

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One of the lamest claims about PriusChatters ... that we're Bambi lovin', leaf lookin', greenies. My green are Yankee Greenback Dollars ... the cheapest per mile transportation. But I knew about CO{2} thermal runaway in the 1960s when the first probes flew by and 'landed' on Venus.

In response to the false claims about being 'green', I studied a course at https://skepticalscience.com/.

This course gave me finer insight to man-made, global warming mechanics as I already knew about Venus. So the symptoms, weather extremes, polar ice loss, and sea level rise ... they are just symptoms of what is going on. As for pro and anti global warming 'Karens', they are like the first thread post, unconvincing.

So who would I identify as being the actual sources for @asjoseph ire?
    Bob Wilson

#16 bwilson4web, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  17. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With all that I read everywhere, its pretty clear that global warming is real. But what is unclear, how do we stop it? If we stopped everything that we do, would this stop it. Don't eat meat? No more cars? Don't use petroleum? Use only solar energy? Stop manufacturing anything that produces global warming? I'm not trying to be extreme, but it seems to me that the planet is so reliant on what we produce today. And if we were able to shut down everything, how long would it take for the effects to reverse?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I doubt we have any of the answers. All we can do is try our best and hope it works.
    From what I’ve read though , it seems almost hopeless

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Technology which Elon Musk covers in the Tesla annual Mission Statements (ask Mr Google.)
    • Go solar - direct and indirect harvesting solar energy.
    • Go electric - so many ways!
    • (Mine) Go molten salt, thorium reactors - there are non-trivial materials challenges but mini-reactors have attractive characteristics.
    Bob Wilson

#19 bwilson4web, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  20. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally agree. Ok, so I will state some facts that are true to my situation and align with your statements. Two years ago my wife and I went out on a limb and decided to go solar. Because we needed a new roof for our home, we went with the Tesla Solar roof program that included backup storage. Many people thought we were dumb to do it, because of the initial cost. Well, we did the math and the main thing that made us go with Tesla was:

25 year roof warranty
    25 year backup system warranty
    10 year finance (not forever)
    Tax rebate for the first 5 years

Most other companies did not have a payment structure that ended in 10 years. Most other companies could not or would not replace our roof and even if they did, the cost was separate and immediate. Most other companies would not supply enough panels to offset our current monthly electric bill. Most other companies payments went on forever...........with a 2 to 3 percent increase per year.

Well, here we are 2 years in and this is what we are benefiting from:

The tax rebates has already knocked off the initial cost by 30 percent!
    We haven't paid an electrical bill for two years!....................and Edison pays us back monthly with the overage!
    I run the air conditioner all summer long, whenever the hell I want to!
    Recently, my block had a power outage that lasted over an hour. Didn't affect us at all.
    By the end of the 10 years, I will still have 15 years warranty and my total cost between money back from Edison and tax rebate be less that 70 percent of the initial cost.

Edison will eventually charge us more due to our situation. But I am daily giving them back more electricity that I use and they in turn can pass on to their overall costs.

I will add that prior to this, my monthly electric bill was insane!! I felt guilty turning on the air conditioning. Our electric bill would double if we ran the air conditioning for just 4 hours!

The sun is giving the entire planet free energy. Now that we have the technology to utilize it, we need to make it affordable so more people can benefit. And for those who may be thinking, yes, even on cloudy days our backup storage is full by 1pm and we live off the sun for the rest of the day and overnight we use our backup system and it only goes down to 80 percent! On sunny days, the backup system is full by 10am.

So, yes, Solar power seems to be the answer.