1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 out of 4 Brits think Moon Landings were faked

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jul 21, 2016.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    25% is not so bad. I believe our nation has scored dumber.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Conversely, I have always believed "Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind" was based on actual events.

I would wonder about the response in relationship to the age of the responder.

That is, every generation farther removed from the Space Race, and the Moon Landings, see the events through a more and more distant lens.

It's easy to laugh off those that would question the validity of the moon landings, but given the limitations of recording devices and documentation of that time, we are asking younger people to believe something happened based on film and photo's that look less convincing in reality than scenes from the latest Jurassic Park movie. Which is to say, reality starts to look more and more fake, while fantasy has become amazingly realistic.

I say we put this all to rest, by returning to the moon, to take selfies with the Moon People!
    With today's technology we could record it all in high definition IMAX perspective and make a film narrated by Morgan Freeman.
    A new moon landing for a new age.

Or we could just fake it all in studio in area 51.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the moon landing wasn't faked?(n)

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Capricorn One didn't help. From wiki:

Peter Hyams began thinking about a film of a space hoax while working on broadcasts of the Apollo missions for CBS. He later reflected regarding the Apollo 11 moon landing, “There was one event of really enormous importance that had almost no witnesses. And the only verification we have . . . came from a TV camera.”[1]

He later elaborated:

Whenever there was something on the news about a space shuttle, they would cut to a studio in St. Louis where there was a simulation of what was going on. I grew up in the generation where my parents basically believed if it was in the newspaper it was true. That turned out to be bullshit. My generation was brought up to believe television was true, and that was bullshit too. So I was watching these simulations and I wondered what would happen if someone faked a whole story.[2]

Hyams went on to become a successful television writer and director and began writing the script for Capricorn One in the mid-1970s. The failure of Peeper jeopardized his career, but Hyams and his friend, producer Paul Lazarus, were able to obtain the support of Lew Grade, head of production company ITC Entertainment, who agreed to a $4.8 million budget.[3][4] The Watergate scandal from the early and mid-1970s also made the premise more plausible.[1]

To stay within the budget, NASA's co-operation was needed. Lazarus had a good relationship with the space agency from Futureworld. The filmmakers were thus able to obtain government equipment as props despite the negative portrayal of the space agency, including a prototype lunar module.

Hyams later joked, "O. J. Simpson was in it, and Robert Blake was in (Hyams' first feature) Busting. I’ve said many times: some people have AFI Lifetime Achievement awards; some people have multiple Oscars; my bit of trivia is that I’ve made films with two leading men who were subsequently tried for the first degree murder of their wives."[2]

6. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a better understanding of the decline of the British empire now

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...but we'd have to sort out if the survey results reflect anti_American (or nationalistic/political) attitudes or just plain poor science aptitude.

8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Faked... Doesn't say much of society, really. One out of an also small number think that 9-11 was faked, despite thousands dead and tens of thousands of first hand witnesses that can never put the horror out of their memory. Don't know what is programmed in Humans to disbelieve stuff, but I think the current U.S. election kinda prove that people aren't all that smart.

If it was faked, I want my 4 hours of sleep back from the night of July 20, 1969.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Rooskies don't think it was faked.....else they would have landed at one of the sights and filmed a bunch of nothing.
    [​IMG]

The reason that the "faked landing" theory just doesn't hold much water is the overly large number of people that would have to keep the secret, in an industry that was emasculated in the 80's, and again in the 2010's by the very government that they were supposed to be keeping the secret for.
    It just doesn't make walking around sense.

While I'm not surprised that 25-percent of people in the UK fell for it, I'm also very aware that we have numerous people in the US that think that Wrestling is real and the Moon landing was faked.
    So....no poking fun at the Brits for me....

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Anyone have a link to the source methods the E&T magazine used? There is a lot of poorly done sampling out there, even in the science and engineering world, so hard to know if the 1 in 4 thing is valid or just some sampling bias and clickbait.