1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1+ week old & "BAM"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Catskillguy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Well.... I went out to my car, to put on the mud flaps... I walk around the car...

Onr big dent on the lower bumper on the rear driver side!!!! I have no idea when it happened. It must have been on one of my errands yesterday. Soemone must have hit it and just kept going. Had to be a good shot as it left a football sized dent right at the corner. Plus, the panel was popped away from the body (which was easy enough to pop back in),.

Later, after I had agonized enough, :( I went about looking how to ease the pain. I took off one screw that was holding the lower panel/bumper. From there I was able to stick my arm in and gently push out the dent... for the most part. There are a couple of 'creases' that are just there. The paint has some fractures that I guess are destined to wear away & fall off eventually.

I almost didn't even feel like putting on the mud flaps.. like 'why bother' when this type of crap happens!! I guess in the whole scheme of things, it is small potatoes. It IS ONLY A CAR.

I did put the mud flaps on after all.. I can't believe the rear one did not have another screw for the far inside part of the panel... I added one as suggested by another post. I couldn't find a matching screw, so I used a sheet metal #10 3/4 stainless pan head, drilling with the same 3/32 drill bit as you needed for the other holes on the rear.

:(

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    awww :( what a bummer!

goes to show how much people suck.

well, at least you had a positive thing- new mudflaps :) and, you'll still get twice the mpg of the #*%& that hit your car.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am VERY sorry that it happened to you. This sort of thing isn't good for any new car you get, but considering how long you wait for one of these. :(

4. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bad, bad, bad. Sorry, man.

Maybe if you send it to CSI for a thorough autopsy, they can track down whodunit.

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sucks! I do a cursory inspection of my car pretty much every time I get in it for that reason.....other people just don't care.

6. jma030201

jma030201 New Member

I am very sorry for what happened to you. I know the feeling. When I let my brother borrow my Integra for a couple of years, he returned it to me with a huge dent on the front passenger side and the rear driver side, occurring at different times. He said both of them happened while he was inside the mall. <_<

Oh well, some people can be such a$$h***s especially if they have a junky car that they dont care about. :angry:

I hope you are feeling better ;)

7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just another example of the lack of respect out there. We all feel your pain. :(

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That Rummydumbscumofablowhole :angry: I hope his/her legs grow together! :eek: Really that is a BUMMER and I feel your pain.

Wildkow

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am so sorry for you! That is depressing. But I'm glad you were able to put the best face on it and get on with things.

To all those who are so hasty to judge and/or curse the person at fault: Accidents do happen, and it does no good to curse the person who did it. He should have left a note and taken responsibility, but we cannot know what was going on in his mind at the time.

10. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

Ugh, the same thing happened to us a few months ago right after we bought our Prius. Someone hit it in a parking lot....from what we could tell they were backing out of the space next to us and scraped and dented the area above the back wheel of our car.

We had to take it in for repairs and spent a few unfortunate days driving a crappy rental.

People suck so bad.

11. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sucks. My back end is getting scratched because of the dog but I have so many other marks that had to be made by people leaning on the car and rubbing something against it, plus the old door ding stuff.

Respect is a lost virtue.

12. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This happened to us one week after buying our first new car - a 1981 Accord. I was devastated and soooo mad. But, you have to get over it. Fortunately that was the only ding in 7 yrs with the car. Consider it a chistening and be careful where you park. There are some pretty rude rubes out there.

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    About 6 months ago, a co-worker of my wife bought a brand new Civic, and less than a week later someone KEYED every panel on the passenger side, even went to the effort to "doodle" designs in her paint. :angry: She just had the whole passenger side repainted, on a brand new car.

THAT is disgusting. On the positive side, it apparently looks perfect after the repaint, to the degree you would never know it was painted. It's amazing what the body shops can do.

I can sympathize with this crap happening though. My parked Integra was hit no less than 3 times over a span of 18 months, the first happening less than 3 months after I bought it.

People really do suck.

Kevin

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What could possibly be going on in this persons mind or life that would excuse him/her from taking responsiblity for their actions? :blink: So my judgement that this person is a Rummydumbscumofablowhole stands. As does the "Curse" since he/she probably has a car with an automatic and can still drive with one rather large leg and two attached feet. If they don't have a automatic, tough, now they will have to pay for their actions by purchading a new car. And that wouldn't have happened if they had just accepted responsibility for their actions. So if you just happen to see some Rummydumbscumofablowhole hopping around on one rather large leg and two feet by all means go up to him/her and try to "Understand" the circumstances as to why they feel they can cost someone $500-$1500 and just walk away. They will probably tell you to stick it in your Pie-hole. Fear, economic status or whatever is no excuse. As a matter of fact after their legs grow together I hope they get some kind of Fungus down there. Now where did I put that VooDoo doll? :lol:

Wildkow

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

It is rather neat that the plastic can be popped out.

I was able to do the same, and on most days can ignore the residual damage. Of course, it helps that I did the damage in the first place ;)

I also take some comfort in being able to identify *my* car in a sea of Prii.