1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1-Year Anniversary (almost) notes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Oct 3, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so it hasn't been much more than 11 months, but I thought I'd start anew my mileage chart at the beginning of Oct. to keep things a little simpler than trying to get to the 21st since it's unlikely I'd fill on exactly that day anyway. Besides, I got my license renewal paperwork in the mail today so I think that makes it 1 year officially enough!!

Miles: 13,000
    Average MPG : 50.5
    Total Fuel: 248 gallons

Problems: One unexpected power loss/limp-home mode situation that resolved itself and no problem was found nor has it recurred. One flat tire (doesn't really count).

Satisfaction: Off the charts

Trips to service dept.: More than I'd prefer, but not more than expected really. Probably around 8-10 with oil changes, warranty service, code pull for the limp-home mode thing. I'm due to go back in Wed. to have my SKS fixed (messed up at the Fuel Guage TSB) and an oil change that's probably a bit overdue (I think the maint. reminder must've gotten reset during the TSB).

Internet Posts: I'm embarrased to even venture a guess!!
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

internet post! you've done 1613 on PC alone almost makes you the "king of posts" ;)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Evan, since I've joined PriusChat back in May, I think, I've learned to respect your opinion and never question your knowledge. I am glad to hear that after 13,000 miles you are still enjoying your Prius.

Party on, Wayne.
    Party on, Garth.

4. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

[font=Verdana:d47429b9d0] "One unexpected power loss/limp-home mode situation that resolved itself and no problem was found nor has it recurred."[/font:d47429b9d0]

How does the limp-home mode work exactly? I'm not sure I understand and I'm a little fearful of something like this happening to me.

Thanks.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"43210)</div>
    Service points are at 5,000 miles intervals. How can you be a bit overdue at 13K? Do you change the oil more frequently? If so, how often?

(As you may have figured, I highly respect your opinions)

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10132003\";p=\"43229)</div>
    Service points are at 5,000 miles intervals. How can you be a bit overdue at 13K? Do you change the oil more frequently? If so, how often?

(As you may have figured, I highly respect your opinions)[/b][/quote]

I did an early first oil change to synthetic at 3k miles...just trying to get the nasty initial crud out. It was probably overkill, but that early enthusiasm and the urge to get synthetic in the crankcase overwhelmed me. I then did a change at 8k, thus 13k is the next 5k mile mark.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heliotropehead\";p=\"43217)</div>
    Basicly that puts the prius into a state where you're on electric power only...enought to get you to the side of the road/safe pull off. Not really enought to limp home. It apparently occurs under certain conditions where the hybrid system has had a glitch.