1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10,000 Mile Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Walker1, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our '06 Prius just hit 10K miles so I rotated the tires, replaced the oil filter, and checked the oil. To my surprise the dip stick was just over the full mark and my Mobil 1 syn. oil was just as clean as when I put it in @ 5,000 miles.

Every other car I have owned usually required about 1/2 qt. of oil between oil filters. I am impressed. We have owned the Prius since Jan. and still have not been to a dlr. for any service or defects. Suits me fine.

I brought my Harley in for scheduled maint. per the extended warranty and provided them with all fluids & oil filter. I ended up getting screwed for $221-labor, $11.50-Shop materials!, and $4.58-gaskets. This is the last GD time I'll be getting service @ a Harley dlr. for any maint.

When these low slimey auto dlrs. & mechanics started adding that BS shop materials fee it added insult to injury. Another good reason why I don't want to set foot in any of them. They are dishonest, crooked, and should be run out of town on a rail.

BTW, the Harley dlr. also raised their hourly shop rate from $70- $85 since last December. So much for all that biker family crap they try to run by you. I hope when the Prius hits 30K miles I don't have to pay 2 arms + a leg for that maint. Anybody else had this happen to them lately by Toyota or ??? I'm done venting.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, people have been screwed. Tell the service writer exactly what to do; read it from the lists shown in your maintenance guide. *Don't* tell them "gimme the 30K service please" or you'll pay for stuff you don't need.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) I have a good dealer Service Department, and make it a point to recommend them to Dallas TX area Prius owners. Service has been good and prices fair. They follow my "by the numbers" list to the number. I *NEVER* say something like "Do the $20,000 mile service." They use my oil (3½ quarts of Mobil-1 5W30 - to avoid the overfill issue), and maintain the requested tire pressure when rotating tires (40 psi front/38 psi rear).

The Assistant Service Manager has a local reputation for "knowing" the Prius' peculiarities and requirements and was first recommended by the members of the Dallas area Prius Meetup Group couple of years ago.

They'er not quite perfect, but somewhat better than "run of the mill."

Dallas area Prius owners PM me if you want specifics.