1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10' 164k Is my ac working properly?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Higgins909, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've noticed at times when I'm in auto it will switch to fresh air and In my mind I'm like "Why are you doing that? Its hot!" I've also noticed that say its 82 out I can put it at 78-80 and it will blow cold. I don't know if the temperature settings really makes it any colder or not. I find adjusting the fan speed does more. Actually adjusting the temperature just seem to drain my hybrid battery faster?

I've tired to look at the sight glass after not using my car all weekend and thought I could see something that looked like water splashing around when I tapped the housing. There wasn't very much in there. I then turned my ac on full and checked again and couldn't see anything, not even bubbles. I waited a few minutes and went to check again and still nothing.

My drives are about 20 minutes and 10 miles. (Primarily to and from work) After work when my car has been sitting in the sun all day, it barely cools down by the time I'm home. But this is with me setting it just a few Deg cooler then the outside (really I guess I set it to 80~) and maxing out the fan. I guess I can try out Auto again and turning it all the way down? Been in a heat wave these last few days or so and it's very unpleasant.

Thanks for any input,
    Higgins909

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't like the system. i adjust my fan speed, and manually push the a/c button and fresh air/recirc button as needed, leaving the temp on low.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're not seeing bubbles in the sight glass when AC's running, and it's able to run nice and cold, sounds like it's ok.

Short drives with a car that's been sitting in the sun all day are never going to be that good, that's overload for the AC.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you get into the car, open the windows to let the heat out.
    With the a/c running. Set it to the coldest setting, not on recirculate, fan on high.
    After driving a short distance you can start closing the windows. I close the fronts first, then the rears.
    After closing the windows you can turn on the recirculate, then start raising the temp.
    The temp inside the vehicle can reach over 120 degrees. Outside will always be less. Here in Florida,
    it averages 90. It's always easier and faster to cool the 90 degree air then 120.
    You don't drive very far, but it should be pretty cool in 5 minutes. Are you windows tinted?
    I usually keep mine between 73-75. Sometimes lower sitting in traffic.