1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10 amp fuse blows out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Taxi/Limo, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello All
    I ran a wire from the 12 volt battery on a 2010 Prius directly to my taxi top light. I put an in line fuse between the two but the 10 amp fuse blows out. So I put a 15 amp fuse in
    Is 15 amp to much?
    It's funny I have a dash cam hooked up to the same power source with a 2 amp fuse and it does not blow out

Thanks

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Generally, it's not a good idea to put a higher amperage fuse in place of a lower one that keeps blowing.

The fuse is meant to fail before any wiring is melted and fires start. So putting in a higher amp fuse exposes you to fire risk.

You should investigate why the 10 amp fuse is blowing. How did you route the wire from the battery to the taxi light? If you went up through the hatch weather seal, check the wires and make sure that the insulation is intact and there are no shorts to the metal body (dead shorts).

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance on your taxi light and at the wire where it connects to the battery.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He's running the wire directly from the battery. The wire he is using may not be able to hold that much amps and is running warm. He may want to run the wire from a power source, not directly from the battery. I use to have this problem back in the day hooking up fog lamps. Going straight from the battery always ran hot and eventually melted my wires.

Dyjital likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, then a smaller gauge wire (thicker) should be used. But 10 amps is a lot of current for a light.