1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by macmaster05, Jan 19, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If anyone doesn't know about this already, there's a deal for a $20 Amazon gift card for only $10. I just bought one. I've never bought any of these online deals before, but this one's been a major hit all day. They're easily poised to sell over a million of these by the end of today.

Here's the link:
    http://livingsocial.com/deals/21336?ref=addthis-share2-4390984&amp%3Brpi=4390984

Of course I plan to buy stuff for my Prius from amazon. :D

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    AAAAA-Rent-A-Space is a hundred million dollar growth industry that thrives on people paying to store all the stuff that won't fit in their house anymore that they bought at half-off sales because they could buy something they didn't need (or even want) because it only cost them the money they saved. :p

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey now, Amazon.com is a legitimate store that millions of people shop there for their everyday needs. Nothing wrong with that.

4. jfr121

jfr121 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for the link! I love saving money and use Amazon.com all of the time. JR

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I never said there was. But how often do we buy gift coupons because they're half price rather than because they offer something we were already contemplating buying? I'd say the ratio is probably 95 to 5: 95% of the time we'd never have purchased whatever it is we decided to buy AT ANY PRICE because having it never entered our minds until we saw it at half price. The half price is a chimera anyway because rarely do any of us have any idea what true and fair market value for something is, our only basis for comparison it that the seller says it's half off.

Amazon is a wonderful bazaar and I'm a heavy patron of it, but I try to limit my purchases to things I've thought about BEFORE signing on, not just to save money but to prevent AAAAA-Rent-A-Space from charging me full retail storage rates to take possession of things I value so little I don't want them cluttering up the house, things I probably bought on the spur of the moment, enticed by a half-off flag.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is just a gimmick to get you to buy things at Amazon because you can only buy 1 gift card at this price. So this just like a $10 off coupon from Kohl, or Lowes.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes! I agree with you 100%. I am the same way. I guess I'm in the 5% you mentioned. Honestly I only buy from amazon.com once or twice a year. If I buy something from them, it's because they had the best deal on something I needed to buy anyway.

Plus, I don't see using the gift card as a "half price" deal and excuse to go shopping. I see it as "hey sometimes I need something from Amazon and if I do I'll have this gift card handy."

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The difference is that coupons expire and require you to buy a certain amount, certain product.

Amazon is different from Kohls or Lowes too because they're a massive online retailer and have surprisingly competitive prices.

Obviously I don't work for Amazon or anything but there's a reason over 800k have bought it. ;)

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    macmaster, is there a referral link in your URL ? Meaning, are you benefitting from my use of the link you provided ? If so, you are likely violating the TOS of this forum.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately I'm getting nothing from this.

I just bought $35 of Meguiar's car wash stuff for my Prius from amazon 2 nights ago, before I heard of this deal. I was pissed so I'm trying to make myself feel better by giving others the deal.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I checked the website without going through your link and found "Get yours free! Buy, share, and if three friends buy, yours is free."

The (mangled for clarity) URL you posted is
    //livingsocial. com/deals/21336?ref=addthis-share2-4390984&amp%3Brpi=4390984

The direct (mangled for clarity) link is
    //livingsocial. com/deals/21336-20-amazon-com-gift-card

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That "share and get it free" stuff doesn't work. I've had friends who tried it before. I simply copied the link they gave me after I bought it.

It doesn't matter which one you buy it from.

13. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL nice! Yeah it's a lot of money. That's $20 million of Amazon their giving away so far. Don't know how they're going to turn a profit.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Volume.;)

16. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone received their certificate via email yet? I still haven't.

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I havent! GRRRRR. What's going on??

Fortunately my credit card has not been charged either yet, but still. Come on!!

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still haven't gotten my gift card yet but I checked their website and this was at the top of the page.

I guess when 1.3 million people buy the same thing it could take a while to process. LOL.

19. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The bummer is that it would be very easy to send out all the gift cards in a blink, what's hard is sorting through the fraud before they do.

I didn't cheat the system and I still don't have my card! Come on, LivingSocial! I have some Blu-rays I want to buy! :)

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Received my gift card email a few minutes ago and successfully applied it to my Amazon account. Yay!