1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'10 Prius III died in the line of duty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Waterlogged, May 11, 2013.

1. Waterlogged

Waterlogged Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Prius III is no more. On Monday, I was rear-ended by an Acura SUV going about 35-40 while I was stopped at a light. Coffee sprayed all over the front windshield, airbags deployed, and my car was sandwiched between the SUV and the Jeep in front of me. All I can say is that the Toyota airbags rock. I don't think this would have been a fatal crash, but without the knee airbags to keep my knees from hitting the underside of the dash, I don't think I would be walking today. I don't think I would have fared as well in most small passenger cars the Prius's size and weight.

Hopefully, I will never have to test out the newer safety features in my new 2012 Plug-in that I bought last night to replace the '10.

Attached Files:

Bullet Salvador, JMD, kgall and 6 others like this.
  2. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you're safe. And you have no injuries after being sandwiched? That's amazing.

Sorry for ur loss, but I'm sure the PIP is helping u get over it real quick.

3. Waterlogged

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am a bit banged up and having some trouble with my knees, but for the amount of energy involved in the crash, I am very happy with how I came through.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a bad hit but fortunately the crumple zones worked. I'm glad to hear you made it out ok. :)

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears that the Prius performed very well at its primary job, sacrificing its life to protect you. It isn't just the airbags, but also the very strong passenger cage surrounded by sacrificial crush zones.

Prius is 'small' only because many people's size reference has bloated with the Era of SUV Battering Rams of Death.

F8L likes this.
  6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <salutes> Taps plays...

7. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How scary! Definitely not the day you expected, but so glad that you aren't seriously hurt after that! The airbags are such a lifesaver, but that is one smell I will never forget. Hope your knees feel better soon. Are they bruised from the accident?

8. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    were you able to move the car to the side? thats what it looks like from the picture.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, so sorry you got rear ended and lost your 2010, but glad you made it out ok. I hope the WIL headrest did its job so you don't have any or much of a whiplash.

10. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry about the car but I'm glad whenever I hear or read that the owners are ok. Again I see how tough the car really is.

When I got totaled in a Toyota car, I was just as mad my coffee got ruined as I was about the car.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your 10 model but glad to hear you are OK and the air bags worked great. I would think like others that the 12 PIP will help soften the blow.

I saw a 10 model last night, the same color as mine, in the median just before turning in to my neighborhood with the front end crumpled. So I know another Prius owner that is in mourning over the loss of their beloved car.

12. tristan91

tristan91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get a good lawyer. You may feel okay now, but never know if after-effects from the crash may appear down the road. As much as I generally don't like our legal system, this is an instance where you need to CYA...

ralleia likes this.
  13. Waterlogged

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am doing pretty good, now 6 days after the accident. The headrests did their job, and although my neck has been muscle-sore, it think it is going to be OK. My wife always nagged me to make sure the headrests were adjusted correctly, but I always hated how much they blocked my view. The backup camera really made it easy to keep the headrests adjusted to the right height, and I am thankful now I listened to her. During the collision, I actually felt the headrest come smack me in the back of the head, like it is supposed to. I also never saw it coming, as she never touched her brakes or made any other sound prior to the collision. I think being relaxed because I didn't see it coming also helped.

My knees are sore mostly from the shock wave that propagated up through the brake pedal and floorboard. There isn't really any bruising on the kneecaps, but my knees have bone bruising and swelling, which is making it painful to walk. The imaging says that it is just soft tissue damage, so I should recover.

As for a lawyer, I am covered on that front. The other side admitted liability for the entire accident to me and the insurance companies, so the only question is damages. So far, they have covered a rental car, and they said they will cover a new child car seat, but I haven't seen the amount they are going to allow on that. And they have agreed on a payout for the car.

Looking back on it, I should have made the claim through her insurance company rather than claiming through mine who. That would have given me more leverage, I think, but so far I don't really need more leverage. All that said, after four years of driving the 2010 Prius and 43k miles, I ended up getting 95% of what I paid for it back. Another testament to the Prius holding its value.

Funny comment about the coffee, Chris. That was also my first reaction. I saw the coffee all sprayed everywhere and I was angry that my coffee was gone and my shirt was ruined. Probably that thought popped up because it was a familiar one given how many times I have spilled coffee on myself on that stretch of road. That place is generally where my coffee is cool enough to start drinking, although this time I hadn't even started on it. After the accident and I was waiting for the tow truck, I inspected the coffee carefully for any signs that broken glass made it into the small opening in the cup. When I saw none, I drank what was left, cause wreck or no wreck, a guy has to have his coffee.

I was able to drive my car off to the side of the road to get out of the traffic. I wasn't able to open the driver's door, but I was able to crawl out the driver's side rear door.

Now the big question is whether I can re-use my GT Cover's custom seat covers from my 2010 III to my 2012 Plug-in. I don't really feel like crawling around in the 2012 to try the install yet, but maybe next weekend I can give it a try.

ralleia likes this.
  14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Plug-in has an additional vent to cool the battery in back seat, just make sure that does not get covered! So there are two vents to keep open.
    Glad things are going well for you, and welcome to the plug-in group. :)

JMD likes this.
  15. tristan91

tristan91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I'm saying is, you may feel like it's just some minor soreness now, but what if 12-24 months from now, you still wake up with a sore neck from time to time, which you may (or may not) be able to attribute to the car accident. I would be pissed that I now have a lifelong physical issue to deal with because of someone else's mistake. Talk to the lawyer about how you can CYA in that scenario.

What was the driver doing anyways? Texting? Checking Facebook? Putting on makeup?

ralleia likes this.
  16. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did the driver give any reason why they didn't stop? Texting? Day dreaming?

17. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DWR (driving while rich)? Sort of a take on Fried Green Tomato's...

In the end BOTH insurance companies should have had claim filed. Protects the injured party.

Good to hear that OP is on the mends.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hope radar cruise becomes more ubiquitous. It could cut down on distracted collisions of this sort.

19. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It all depends on your insurance company. Mine was better filing claims through it directly and dealing with the other insurance company. Since they had paid out everything on the front end, they had more of an incentive to recover all the money because they certainly didn't want to lose anything out of their own pockets. Accidents waste so much time that I liked dealing with one person the entire time, although for some reason, that person changed a bit frequently based on the stage I suppose of the claim? For your knees, you may want to try 110% compression knee sleeves. They have a pocket for an ice sleeve that they provide that works really well. Although injuries are different, soft tissue ones are similar and after running so much and traveling in the car for so long to get to and from races, those helped immensely. Another thing that I would suggest with the blessing of your doctor is exercising in the pool. It works wonders. Soft tissue damage is very difficult to prove and even the best attorneys have difficulty with it. But, what you do in the next couple of weeks is critical. Don't go to crazy with the NSAID's. They may fight pain, but they slow down healing and can create more damage.

20. Waterlogged

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have done everything I think I can, including getting checked out by chiropractor and doctor, so I think I have done everything I can to document my currents state. I am not sure what else can be done but wait and see. I can foresee the difficulty of linking the injury back to the accident, but I think I have done everything I can. I don't plan on settling the claim until I know the extent of my damages, even if that takes it out to the three year mark (our SOL in WA).

I never found out why she hit me, but I will say that I have driven by a number of wrecks in this exact place that were rear-end collisions like mine. The road goes up to 45 mph after a few stop lights, and just about the time you are getting up to speed, there is another stop light that sometimes gets a bit back up, like it was when I was hit. Obviously if you are looking where you are going, there shouldn't be an accident, but I think in this particular spot, it makes distracted drivers more likely to hit someone. It is also interesting that about a month ago the police were have emphasis patrols on distracted driving right along this corridor.