1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10 to 12 MPG decrease after Safety Recall 90L - Replace Accelerator Pe

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ggcc, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have done two recalls at once on my 2007 Prius (Water Pump and Accelerator pedal replacement). After drove off the dealer to the freeway I noticed MPG has dropped significantly normally 52 to 54 mpg but I only got 40-42 mpg (drop 10 to 12 MPG).
    At first I think it was Water pump because I totally forgot the Accelerator pedal replacement. The water pump is working normally (I can hear it pump after shut engine off).
    Now the only think for this mpg drop is the Accelerator replacement (same gas in the tank and the weather when pick up car his hotter then drop off my car).

Now I had been driven the car for 200 miles after the dealer done the recalls; I can only get 42 MPG; I used to get between 52 to 54. I have not gotten this low ever before.

I will bring the car back to dealer later...

What do you think what could cause this problem? Is any electrical need to be removed why accelerator pedal being replaced?

Thanks for all input.

2. magic-man

magic-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They removed the batt cable to protect the car and service rep... Fill 'er up again and see if it improves after a tankfull.

3. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I filled it up at the same gas station, and ran for about 150 miles but only get 42mpg!!!

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did they actually replace the accelerator pedal or trim the bottom of it? If the former, why? There's no need to. If you didn't like the feel of the pedal, after the trimming, you could ask for a replacement assembly.

5. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually just did the same thing on my '04. If you look on the paper work, you should see that they also adjusted your tire pressure. They dropped mine from about 40 psi down to 36 psi.

Rolling resistance will affect your MPG dramatically.

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Going back to the dealer to complain about something they may have inadvertently done is going to be counter-productive. When you do a mileage reset it takes a few tankfuls to get back into the 50's just be patient, and check your oil level (2/3rd's full is perfect) air pressure and emergency brake.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nothing relating to either of those service tasks should cause your mileage to fall. I suspect it is tire pressure, battery reconnect, or most likely just coincidence. Check your tire pressure. Make sure your parking brake isn't dragging. Other than that, reset your mileage meter and give it some time.

Tom

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One member suggested checking the connector on the cable located between the gas & brake pedals.

I don't care what your paperwork says. Check the tire pressure. Just because the tp is recorded doesn't mean it is accurate.;)

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It was the (same) OP. :D

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you reset your average MPG every time you fill up? Could it be that you are used to seeing your lifetime MPG and now that your ECM was reset you are seeing what you currently get on a tankfull or two?

11. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I reset every time I fill up the tank.

I solved this problem by re-seat the black electrical connector at the accelerator pedal.

Here is the thread:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ar-less-than-45-mpg-then-try.html#post1223141

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, I saw your thread earlier but didn't put the name to it. Sorry. :)

13. WashingtonDoug

WashingtonDoug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a decrease when I had my water pumpS replaced, at the same time. I went from 48+ to 42+ that day and have let it run through tanks of fuel, reset the gauge a dozen times and measured using the old fashioned math method and still under 43.

I will check my tire pressure, that makes great sense but I would love to know if others have had a similar issue.

The replacement was on my 2007 and done in early 2012.

Thanks.