1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'10 w/95k miles - all I've done is change oil...now what?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eddiehaskell, Feb 13, 2014.

1. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all. I haven't posted here since buying my Prius in August '09 (what a struggle it was to get one with cash for clunkers going on!). I haven't had a single problem from the car! Not one. I love the mileage, but I love the versatility of the hatchback even more (carried home a 50 gallon water heater in the box from Home Depot last week). Well now that I've bought all the supplies to fully detail my car, I figured I might as well tackle any maintenance that's needs to be done.

I'm at 95,100 miles and I'm wondering what maintenance needs to be done. All I've done is change the oil every 10k miles and buy new tires.

I know I'm overdue on a air filter and maybe the brake pads, but what else? I'd like to do as much as possible in my garage.

2. JoeM(GA)

JoeM(GA) Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's about time for a transaxle oil change. I bet you'll find you still have lots of life on the brakes still. I have almost 85,000 on mine and they still have tons of material left. Have you changed the cabin filter?

alekska and hybridbear like this.
  3. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and maybe a new 12v battery

4. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haven't done any of this. I'm reading up on how to change the transaxle fluid right now. It doesn't seem too bad. I have some Rhino ramps for the front, but I will have to spend $25 on jack stands for the rear and a fluid pump.

I don't even know where the cabin filter is so I will have to look that one up too.

Think it would be a good idea to start looking for a deal on a 12V battery? Maybe I should go ahead and change it out before it dies...

5. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cabin filter is behind the glove box. Here's one video:

hybridbear likes this.
  6. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've done the transaxle fluid drain and fill. It's pretty easy and here is my post on the process. I recommend sticking with the genuine Toyota fluid. BTW I work for Toyota and your brake pads can last anywhere from 70,000 to 150,000 miles. It all depends on how you drive. You may also consider flushing out your dot 3 brake fluid and engine coolant fluid. I did mine at 55,000 miles and not sure how to do this so I just paid one of my technicians to do it.

Transaxle Fluid Drain & Fill (DIY Easy as 1-2-3) | PriusChat

7. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would do a ATF change for sure.

With regard to the brake fluid flush, I would try to see if your Prius is under the brake booster recall issued late last year. If it is, the dealer might change the fluid for you while working on that recall. They did it on mine. Read a lot more about flushing brake on here if you tackle it yourself though.

8. 04priusnow

04priusnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 99k on mine.. Did atf, coolant flush radiator and trans, cabin filter and my 12v battery was in the 11v range under load so have a be optima...

LG-LS980 ?