1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 mile plus member questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bushface, Apr 25, 2008.

1. bushface

bushface Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a new Prius to drive to work and I have kept my go to work vehicles (rag top 6 cylinder jeeps) to about 170,000 miles before buying a new one. So the question is what problems does the typical 100,000 mile plus owner have? Sensors, battery, paint, rust, etc. I know I have 4 to 5 years to go before I hit the 6 digit mileage, but I sure that others would like to know also.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed enough reports of inverter coolant pump failure, so that I would suggest that a Prius owner with 100K+ miles on the odometer consider a preventive replacement. This will help ensure continued longevity of the inverter which is an expensive part to replace.

It is reasonable to expect the front struts/rear shocks to require replacement at or before that mileage.

Beyond 100K miles, random failures of the traction battery, inverter, or transaxle may happen to an unlucky owner. Classic owners also have to worry about the electric steering gear and the catalytic converter with HCAC valve.

The engine is quite reliable if the 5K oil/oil filter change requirement is observed.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The bulk of the NHW20 problems were fixed in 2004/2005. There have been some reports suggesting 'cost saving' changes have had a few problems but no show stoppers. The traction battery was significantly improved in the NHW20 and a lot of 'lessons learned' applied. In fact, the NHW20 should be considered the 3d generation Prius after the NHW11 and NHW10.

I'm hoping the 2009, NHW20 has less mechanical changes as much as some software changes that could significantly improve performance. For example, a zero energy, foot off the gas coast, a cruise control that allows 2-3 mph changes for efficiency, and more fuel efficient ICE warm-up. A little more accelerator smoothing would be nice too. Also remove the 42 mph control law between EV possible and ICE must always run control laws.

I would not object to the inverter coolant pump being relocated between the grill and radiator housing on a sound dampening mount to the frame that also has a diaphram towards the front grill. The idea is to make a distinct noise towards the front and quiet the cabin and frame.

I would also like a backup audio alarm built into the tail light assembly so the lense serves as the diaphram but nothing is heard in the body of the car. If the backup lights come on, the audio alarm makes a modest noise. This completely eliminates the in-cabin noise and puts it where it might do some good.

Bob Wilson