1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 mile service experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bawelser, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bawelser

bawelser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After doing a lot of reading on this forum (esp. the fantastic thread by galaxee) and soliciting some personal advice from the good folks here, I took my 2006 Prius with 105,000 miles in for maintenance. I decided to take to Dave Mungenast Toyota in Alton, Illinois. I was thoroughly satisfied with my experience here (especially compared to previous service experiences elsewhere). Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, answered any questions I had, and didn't push for any unnecessary service whatsoever. I basically told them what I wanted done and they did it, at prices that were about what I expected. In addition, they gave me a $50 off coupon even though I neither brought one in nor mentioned anything about it. The waiting area was large and spacious, with plenty of comfortable couches and chairs and a nice coffee/juice/danish bar. They did a free car wash, vacuum, and tire shine, although I imagine this is probably standard at all dealerships.

Anyway, here is what I had done and what it cost:

Brake fluid exchange $124.01
    Clean throttle body (I asked for throttle plate but guess this is the same thing?) $54.75
    Serpentine belt $87.47
    Clean and adjust rear brakes $59.99
    Denso OEM spark plugs $129.99
    Drain and fill engine and inverter coolant $149.99
    Replace transaxle fluid $89.99
    Replace 1 stripped lug nut - no charge

For a total of $696.19 minus the $50 coupon = $646.19 ($661.00 after tax).

After they were done, I asked if it is a good idea to put fuel injector cleaner in the tank and he said they added some at no charge (guess that means it's a good idea).

I didn't replace the 12V battery yet, but he quoted me a price of $150 installed. Seems like a very good price based on what I've read and I think I'll get it done before winter hits.

The only somewhat bad news was that he said I have a leaky axle seal and gave me a quote of $350. This doesn't seem too out of line with what I've read on here. He didn't push for it at all and said it wasn't particularly imminent but he would recommend replacing it within a couple of oil changes. Marked it on the sheet under "future attention."

All in all a very good experience in my opinion, and my future choice for service and sales. I would recommend them to anyone in the metro St. Louis area.

Bryan

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think it is high, but if you are happy and that's all it counts.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Seems reasonable. Glad you found a good dealer to service your car. :)

4. gobux

gobux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just quoted $170 for the transaxle fluid change.

5. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reasonable charges for a dealer. Axle seal isn't necessarly a dealer only thing or prius special thing. Shop around if there are other shops in your area.
    I did find that I can dicker with smaller shops for cash price. Dealer doesn't budge and I drove off their loss.
    I use one dealer when its the complicated things (my opinion). Yes the best part is the wash and danishes/coffee. Hint:when I return again I always talk to the service manager and compliment on prior service. I Usually get a goodie extra because I butter the bread.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is prudent to replace the engine and inverter coolant pumps when the coolant is exchanged every 100k miles or so, but it is only my opinion, not Toyota recc.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The only axle seal of concern is the cvt to cv joint halfshaft axle seal. There's one on each side. If thats leaking would really really concern me as your leaking trans fluid. Even if its just weeping thats bad because you never know if its going to blow out till its to late or exactly how low the trans fluid really is. Its impossible to check trans fluid level unless you put the car up on a lift or stands and unbolt the fill hole.

Everything you had done is meaningless if your leaking trans fluid because there's really no sensor in the trans to alert you to low fluid except all of a sudden loud bearing wear noises and possible overheat and by then the $4000 trans is toast. That $4000 makes the tune up meaningless is what I mean.

I'm not busting your chops I just want you to know that needs to be addressed as its much more important than anything you just had serviced.
    Go back to the dealer and have that done asap. BTW, there's been lots of posts I've read where posters had reg shops install new seals. Its not very difficult but $250 to $300 is about right from what I've read.
    Good luck there!

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I buy SLLC and WS fluids at my dealership. Period. I have every hope of keeping our relationship at 10 feet spitting distance for a *long* time.