1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 miles maintance ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by amaury, Jan 15, 2014.

1. amaury

amaury Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello to all, this is my first post however I'm watching the forum since I got my Prius.
    I bought a 2010 Prius II in Nov 2013, since then the only thing I did was to do a oil/filter change and cabin filter.
    What things should I check for or replace with this mileage? I have a friend at a dealer that can help me with some of them at a better price.
    Things I seen so far. Called and reported to Toyota care.
    1. Car seems to speed up when braking over bumps.
    2. knocking / rough start in the morning not very often. (Saw the TSB dealer wants the car to duplicate.)
    3. Track off light on when parked. Also it happened once to me when traveling around 60mph and my cruise control gets disable.
    4. Clicking sounds when car is completely off. I might stay in the car working on my laptop and start to hear this noises.
    Are fuel additives recommended for the Prius. I have used either Lucas or Sea foam on my Matrix with no issues.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! transaxle oil change, maybe the plugs, all fluids except brakes perhaps. what does the manual say?

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would recommend trans fluid, spark plugs, engine coolant and inverter coolant, maybe front brake job depending on the thickness of the pads and vibration.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...and even if the pads are good, change/flush the fluid.

5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You could,,, _____RTFM______

6. amaury

amaury Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The manual only mention to replace the inverter coolant and nothing more.

Thank you for all you guys input on this.

7. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    1) I know what your talking about, others have reported it if i recall the issue is when the regen braking stops and the conventional brakes kick in there is a a split second where they change i think that causes this "surge" its been reported, i wouldnt' worry

2) Yup sounds like you need the TSB for the rough start. Keep reporting it to dealers, if possible go to another dealer.

3) no sure what you mean by this statement

4) Prius makes odd sounds at all times. Even if you get out and come back 30 mins later and you can hear odd sounds.

I'd say Spark plugs, inverter and engine coolant flush is a must, and trans axle fluid change.

Car should easily run another 100k

8. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Avg speed of 40MPH?

You must be a joy to encounter out on them streets.....

9. lizardskin

lizardskin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I assume you mean me. Hey look at others in top mpg thread most are avg speed of about 17 to 25mph

11. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    eli,

Wow, what a fun club that must be!

You guys that are pinching it this hard,,,
    Did you know there is a car out there that will get you there without stinking up the neighborhood and it costs you ~30% of what a gas burner uses to go that first ~40 miles?

12. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not pinching hard... my normal drivimg habit isnt tbat modified to achieve great mileage...just taken advantage of my route and driving behind slow cars or semis on the interstate.

I assume tour talking about your volt... what you left off is that the base volt starts at nearly 13k more than the base prius..thats Nearly 56% more than a base prius. Assuming you dont get any tax incentive. Which can range from 0 to 7500. Even with those its still 5500 more or about 25% more than base prius. Ontop of that built by a company rhat didnt need tax payer bailouts to stay alive

13. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    But, But,, it has a payback,, if I live that long...

<30% what most chumps pay for the same miles. In all seasons. (The PiP is a 3 season EV, no?)
    Mine will cost me $23.6k when I get back my tax incentive. Of course every buyer factors that into the price.
    I can drive for months and not send one dime to Saudi Arabia.
    If I spend a little more I can produce my own power at home, and get a tax incentive for that too!
    Plus the thing is fun to drive! Way sportier than,,, the leading hybrid.
    Yet when I'm on the interstate doing a road trip I don't see Teslas and other BEVs.

But dittos. We don't like saving 100,ooo's middle class jobs,, even if the loan got paid back.
    (These people are not getting rich, they are your neighbors.)
    We only like bailing out Too Big To Fail Banks and other Wall Street Gamblers. Dittos!

14. eliteconcept

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not saying the car isn't good. I'd prob buy one if they weren't out of my budget range.
    I won't agree that Chevy deserved a buy out, but I don't think that the banks did either.
    Private companies shouldn't get a second chance with tax payers money for doing a bad job. Do a bad job, have bad leadership, you go out of business. Companies should have leadership that is forward thinking and innovative not old school and status quo.

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Run the numbers:
    PiP =$2500 tax break. Lame 3 season, 11 mi. EV.
    Volt= $7500 tax break. The highest tech EV available.

Volts are not $40K . Run the numbers.

But, But,, it was the previous administration that bailed out the TBTF Banks, no questions asked. No limits, no nothing. Should they have all gone down because the gobmint has no place helping when and where needed?

16. amaury

amaury Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got the latest recall (Feb 12, 2014) done and now the car wont start. Dealer will be ordering a part and see what happens. They also mention they was a oil leak, hopefully the extended warranty I got when the car was purchase in Nov , 2013 covers it. Thanks again for all the replies to my questions.

On the parts/fluids needing to be change what is the cost with labor and can I try and do myself.

17. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did they find an Inverter issue, or is the ECU fried?

18. amaury

amaury Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ECU fried