1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$100 a barrel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Salsawonder, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wasn't sure how to do the link but the whole piece is on Yahoo's News Page. So nice to be dependent on other countries....

A surge in oil prices last week to almost $70 a barrel on concerns about the restart of Iran's nuclear program only hints at what may lie ahead.

Prices could soar past $100 a barrel, experts say, if the U.N. Security Council authorizes trade sanctions against the Middle Eastern nation, which the West accuses of trying to make nuclear bombs, and Iran curbs oil exports in retaliation. A sharp global economic slowdown could follow.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Glad I got gas this morning at $2.28.

It's the first fill-up of the new year and probably the only one for the month. I was able to wait out the Hurricane Katrina price spike. Let's see if I can wait this one out also. If not, I still won't mind the refill knowing that the other cars there refilled possibly three times before I go back.

3. IMHYBRID

IMHYBRID New Member

anyone know a cheap safe way to store and dispense 50 gallons of gold Oh I mean gas?

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Buy a lot of barrels and a syphon. I know how you can move a large quantity of gasoline ~10 gallons at a time.

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only problem with that, is gasoline degrades over time. ots of Sta-Bil may help, but the last ten gallons of fuel will be far worse than the first 10.

6. Spunky

Spunky New Member

1) Move into a small town, one you can get around in by walking or, if you must ride, by golf-cart.
    2) Buy a battery powered golf cart.
    3) Set up solar panels to recharge your golf cart.
    4) Start a garden.
    5) Learn how to can the produce.
    6) Learn how to enjoy eating canned produce.

Seriously, if crude prices go too high, the economy will collapse. Owning a Prius will make no difference if you are out of work, have no income, and can't afford the gasoline for it. If there is gas available at your local gas station.

7. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Oil WILL hit $100 (and $200, and $300...) a barrel, the only question is when.

Spunky...you said a mouthful.

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

People might have to car pool. That would really be the end of civilization as we know it.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You don't understand economics do you? $300 a barrell? What would that translate at the pump? $10-12 /gallon?

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As far as long-term storage, this is the stuff I use at my hobby farm:

http://www.priproducts.com/

As far as *safe* storage, if you live in an urban area I'm not really sure if it CAN be safe. In a rural or isolated area, at least 100ft away from a home or other building.

Legally, it's very difficult to store large amounts of fuel. There are all sorts of EPA compliance issues to deal with.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, do you remember a few years ago when oil was "only" $14 a barrel? The sheeple will adapt, they always do.

12. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    European countries are already over halfway there. Coupoled with the small streets and lack of parking, they are so much more likely to buy smaller cars, unlike us smart Americans. Like the Hummer Dude "H2O SNOW" that kept speeding up to the traffic only to slam on his brakes and sit behind the next blocked section. We were side by side for many miles but I coasted and he was trying to give himself whiplash!

13. Spunky

Spunky New Member

:p

Maybe people should invest in therapy instead of feeding their "issues" by purchasing monster vehicles.

14. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oil may well hit $100 per barrel, and I think it would be great news....

....because then algae-based oil at $50 per barrel and market forces will finally relegate crude oil based fuels to the last century where they had their time and where they belong.

15. Jax53

Jax53 New Member

16. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just as a point of reference, gasoline prices in Stockholm, Sweden are about $5.87/US Gallon

I got the price by taking a realistc price as of today from http://www.bensinbolaget.se (11.54 skr/litre); multiplying it with 3.785 to get (US) gallons (i.e 43.68 skr/gallon) and dividing it with todays exchange rate ($1 = 7.43 skr).

The Swedish economy is def. slowed by this price but is still doing quite well (above europen average). So I think US can take a much higher gas price then we have and still survive. We are less dependent on energy then we where before thanks to computers and we could probably become even less depented quite quickly (people driving better cars). But we will do worse then other countries with a high gas price since we haven't and still don't invest in a none gasoline infrastrucutre (and have huge land compared to population). I think it would be good for us long term (gas prices will go up) and for the environment if we did.