1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100 amp fuse blown+inverter pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rc_Rs_ss, Nov 5, 2014.

1. rc_Rs_ss

rc_Rs_ss Escaped from Parking Trap

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2006 toyota prius that blew its 100 amp fuse near the jump point and died on the side of the road yesterday. I assumed that the inverter pump was bad so I replaced that when I got it home.. I used an alligator clip to reattach the fuse to see if things would work properly. The clip burned off the part of the fuse I was touching it to but It ran fine. I know for a fact if I replace fuse it will burn right away again What is the next thing to look at? Where does that big wire go to that is causing it to blow?

2. rc_Rs_ss

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    and no, I have never reverse polarity jumped my prius. I have owned it long enough to have jumped it a thousand times. Also it might be helpful to know I used the same technique to restart my prius with the alligator clip so I could drive it the last half mile home. (It did run without the fuse) but only for a half mile.

#2 rc_Rs_ss, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you had Toyota do the inverter pump recall yet? What you are experiencing is what the recall was all about. They will fix it for you, but probably you should put that shorted pump back in. They will even cover the cost of towing.

4. rc_Rs_ss

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just got the pump replaced for my wifes prius but they said mine does not get the recall. I did not ask if it the recall was already done. the car has over 250,000 miles

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How are you sure that fuse burns? There are probably capacitors directly connected to 12V output of converter so sparks when connecting that wire to converter are normal if you connect it with 12V connected.

One side of 100 fuse is connected (thought 120A fuse) to 12V battery. Another side is connected to converter, T-LP relay coil, and to 40A fuse.

So if 100A fuse burns it can really only be T-LP relay, converter, or wiring. If the fuse burns without car being powered on then test to see if pulling T-LP relay will stop it (unlikely). Then test to see if disconnecting wire from converter stops it. Insulate the wire it has 12V.

I think the 12V wire is single wire connector at drives side back of the inverter converter unit. But it shouldn’t be that hard to spot since its only thicker wire that is NOT orange.

#5 valde3, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    uart likes this.
  6. rc_Rs_ss

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will try your suggestions tonight. I am sure because my alligator clip got hot enough to burn me. Almost red hot. I guess I could wire in a temporary 100 amp fuse to test it but it steamed water.

7. rc_Rs_ss

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is what I mean by hot. It turned my pick blue. Where exactly is the t-lp relay? The pick only got hot when I started it.

Attached Files:

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes it shouldn’t really be that hot unless maybe your 12V battery has shorted cell or two. Measure 12V battery voltage. If it’s ok then it’s likely that your inverter is bad luckily used ones aren’t expensive.

It can’t really be the relay if it only gets hot when you turn car on. Also it’s unlikely that it wiring either.

Did it get hot only in ready? Cause in ign-on almost everything else is on but inverter converter.

rc_Rs_ss likes this.
  9. rc_Rs_ss

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you! I picked up an inverter from a salvage yard for 99 bucks. The car is up and running again! I will try to post some photos of what I did soon.

uart likes this.
  10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, a whole inverter for $99. It would seem that there is not much demand for those.

11. rc_Rs_ss

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I buy all my parts from car-part.com. it gives you a list of all the salvage yards selling the part in your area or anywhere else. There were more expensive ones but this one had a 6 month warranty, so why not?