1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100 miles on my new 2007 Prius ....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusmaybe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am getting an average of 42 mpg.

When you first take off from a stop and the engine goes to from elec to gas, is it normal to see really low mpg figures even if you accelerate slowly?

2. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In my experience, yes, until you are up to speed.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.

If it is fairly hot out or the car has been running for awhile I will usually see low 12s or high teens when accelerating from a stop.

When it's cold out or the car is not warmed up it will sometimes drop to single digit mpg for a second then sit in the teens till I get up to speed. That's usually only when it's cold or I am accelerating briskly.

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    As the others have mentioned, you will get you worst fuel economy (in general) when accelerating up to speed. However there are numerous threads on here that discuss how to best use that speed, so your energy is not wasted.

Its a learning process, but one that will reward you with better FE over time. Good luck!

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just imagine what the fuel consumption is in other vehicles that don't have a real time display of MPG>.....

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you want better mileage, don't accelerate slowly. Assuming we are not talking about creeping from stop to stop, but leaving a stop to go to cruising speed, you get the best mileage by accelerating briskly up to speed. It's not a jack rabbit start, but faster than most people normally use. That will get the best use of the ICE. When you accelerate slowly, you force a car to inefficiently supply the energy used for acceleration. It takes the same amount of energy to get up to speed either way, so you want to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Tom

7. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Apr 30 2007, 07:17 AM) [snapback]432447[/snapback]</div>

;) I was wondering about exactly that.

At one time in my life I had a S600 V12 Mercedes Sedan - What do you think that used during the same time.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Apr 30 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]432623[/snapback]</div>
    Most of the cars I've been in and owned drop into single digits during brisk acceleration. My Corvette did for sure then once up to cruising speed of 70mph is would sit between 27-30mpg.

9. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is a very steep hill with curves at the end of our road. There is a stop sign, so I have to accelerate from a dead stop and I get 6 mpg going up it. I learned very quickly to go down that hill when heading to work and come back into town on a lesser grade. It's the same distance either way. I can't bear to watch the MFD coming up that hill.

10. justifyd

justifyd New Member

Yep, that's a perfectly normal experience. The instant mileage is calculated over a very short period of time and shows what you would get if you were to maintain that level of fuel consumption at that speed. Of course, it doesn't end up that way because your consumption rate and speed will vary.

I frequently see single-digit to low teens MPG just starting out, then stabilizing around 50-60 MPG with spikes to 80-99.9+ at cruising speed. The idea is to find the optimal minimum of the former and the optimal maximum of the latter. :D

- Justifyd