1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100 mpg--an artificial limit?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by MustangConvert, Jul 26, 2013.

1. MustangConvert

MustangConvert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed that the bar graph of instant mpg in the fuel consumption screen only goes up to 100 mpg. Does that artificially limit the actual mpg calculation? Would an Ultragauge that displays up to 999 mpg display a more accurate and improved gas mileage?

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's just a display limit. The calculation isn't limited.

minkus likes this.
  3. MustangConvert

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So the display limit has nothing to do with the highest mileage posted on the forum (ufourya) being 99.9 mpg? That is just a coincidence?

4. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, consider the display zoomed up. If the display were to show up to 1000 mpg, Then you would see a line at the bottom of the screen all the time and occasional spikes up to 1000. It wouldn't be very useful. Toyota zoomed up the image to center around 50 mpg which is the average fuel economy of the Prius and is a nice round number.

5. MustangConvert

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    OK. That makes sense.

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The MPG on my ScanGauge shows around 1600MPG during glides with the engine off. My GenII could get up to 3000MPG....go figure.

RocMills likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With engine burning fuel, my ScanGauge would occasionally display numbers in the 100-300 mpg range, well above the dashboard limit of 100 mpg. This seems to correspond to a minimum burn rate of 0.2 GPH, which at 60 mph produces 300 mpg.
    In my 2010, ScanGauge's GPH would often get stuck at 0.02 gallons per hour when the engine was actually off. I took this as a bug somewhere between the Prius ECU and ScanGauge. This means ScanGauge would show from 1000 mpg when gliding at 20 mph, to 3000 mpg when coasting at 60 mph. At other times it would display a correct 0.00 GPH and 9999 MPG.

I haven't been using those same displays since trading to an upgraded 2012, so cannot say if that bug is still present.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The torque app defaults at 255 mpgs with the engine off or if you are cruising downhill with the engine on you might hit it, also.

9. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Certainly many cars will exceed 99.9 mpg, the limit on a 3 digit (xx.x) mpg display, as we have demonstrated on the long 11 mile descent into Bat Cave, NC from Hendersonville but you have to choose your highway carefully. For all but well selected paths, 99.9 mpg is good for 99.999% of driving. And yes a 4 digit (999.9) display will show mpg in excess of 100 mpg. Over 100 mpg perhaps more accurate but under 100 mpg probably no better.

10. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

ufourya calculated mpg to be 114 mpg at the pump, but he used two different pumps and was skeptical of that number, so he recommended his record be recorded at 99.9:

ufourya likes this.
  11. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would actually prefer the display to show 000-999 mpg rather than 00.0-99.9 mpg. I could care less about tenths of a mpg. Whenever someone asks me what I get for mileage, I round it.

12. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The display does show 3 digits on a PiP, 999 mpg. Time for an upgrade?

13. MustangConvert

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have hooked up an Ultragauge to my Prius C and I have noticed a few things which might be relevant to this discussion. The Ultragauge goes up to a max of 999.9 mpg in contrast to the 99.9 on the car's mileage display. So, for example, when I am gliding at speed's over 46 mph, the Prius shows 99 mpg while the Ultragauge gives me a number between 99.9 and 999.9. This provides me with the opportunity to check on the efficiency of my glide, that the car's built-in display does not show.

The Ultragauge usually, though not always, shows the average mpg as being greater than the average mpg the car's built-in display. At the moment, I do not know if that is a calibration error from the Ultragauge, the car's built-in display, or both the the car's built-in display and the Ultragauge. If the calibration is not an issue, then can the higher mpg shown by Ultragauge be demonstrating that the true average mpg is more than the Prius C's built in display because of the 99.9 mpg limit? In other words, might the 99.9 mpg limit on the Prius C be not just a display issue, but also used for calculations?

Ultragauge does recommend a calibration of the distance by using external mileage markers which I am unable to do (there are no mile markers anywhere near my home); they do suggest however, that such calibration is most indicated when stock wheels an tires are not in use, and I am running stock.

On a separate note, it is annoying that the Prius C does not have an instantaneous mpg display available to watch while the HSI bar is also visible. If I am not mistaken, the regular Prius does.

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's a scan gauge calibration issue. Otherwise there would be many threads about calculation errors being off by more than just 2-3 mpgs every fill-up.

15. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Use Google Earth to make measurements between two distinct points you can identify while driving along a road.

16. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I'm talking about the Prius C display. PiP cost too much for me unfortunately.

17. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

You can buy a Scan Gauge II for $159.00 From PC Shop or Amazon :cool:

ztanos likes this.
  18. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can use the Torque App with your Android phone with a $15-20 obd2 bluetooth adapter.

minkus likes this.
  19. Slightly-related question: Does anyone know how to turn off the heartbeat in the Ultragauge display? I want about half-second gauge refreshes or quicker, but watching the heartbeat icon go that fast would probably drive me crazy, especially at a traffic light. Any way to turn it off? I figured I would ask before I buy a read-out gauge and Ultragauge looks nice.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the Ultragauge show the correct number of gallons used when you refuel? If not, it needs calibration.

These aftermarket gauges normally don't measure fuel consumption directly, but estimate it based on related information that is transmitted on the car's data bus. There are multiple points were this estimate can be knocked out of true, so calibration is likely necessary.