1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1000 Gallons "Milestone"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Jan 2, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I filled up early this morning with 7.955 gallons of gas which pushed me to the 1005.6 gallons mark for the 38+ months and almost 54,000 miles I've been driving my Prius. That works out to a LMPG of 53.4mpg.

I guess it's a bit of an odd milestone to some, but to me it may be one of the bigger ones. All along I've tried to reinforce to those who complain about the cost/benefit ratio of buying a Prius and how "you'll never get your money back" and such that, for me, it wasn't about saving money. It was about saving gas and doing a little bit to reduce the environmental impact.

I can and could afford just about any car I want...not that my wife would let me, but the money is there. I was driving a '97 Ford Expedition LTD 4WD 5.4L that I loved. It was big and roomy and comfy and it could go anywhere. I got 12-14mpg (calculated..I've always done that even BP (before Prius)). I drove around 18k miles/year.

Thus, in 9 months with the Expedition I burned, in gas, what it's taken me over 3 years to burn with the Prius. What I lost in roominess, power and comfort I've gained back 100x in the satisfaction that I did the right thing. I've done a little to promote this car to others who might not have, otherwise, ever considered it. I've dramaticly reduced the fuel I would have used (~4400 gallons) had I gotten another Expedition (my second choice to the Prius actually).

And yea, at an estimated average $1.80/gallon I've saved well over $6000 on fuel alone...I like to think of it as taking money out of Big Oil's bank account.

Anyway, you can click on my mpg thing in the sig if you want to see my mileage history...or if you're having trouble getting to sleep. But thanks for 'listening'.

BTW, I LOVE my Prius! :D

2. berylrb

berylrb Member

thanks for sharing Evan! Wow, $6,000 that adds up!

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

so what's that about 5 months lease on a big Merc? maybe less. Yup you'll never save the Hybrid surcharge :lol:

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You're right, that is an odd milestone. But fortunately it's one that the average Prius driver will have to wait a long time to realize.

Wanna hear something even more odd: Here's hoping your Prius sees at least as many more. :)

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    congrats on your milestone Evan.

saving money is one thing, but as a father with another due in March, to you who celebrated your children's birth here, i want to think that i am doing something (as little as it is, it all still adds up) to see that my children have the same opportunity to enjoy this Earth and raise their children in a relatively healthy environment.

sure, its money in your pocket, never anything wrong with that, but its also being a hybrid driver here and in public, creating a presence, making a statement... it all adds up....

you say you have saved yourself 4400 gallons, but how much have you helped to save the world???

be proud of that

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 2 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]369694[/snapback]</div>
    Right on!

Dave M.

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I also hit the 1000 gallons mark about a month ago. My Prius and I shared a quiet moment together in celebration, but we decided to hold the gifts until after the holidays to catch the post holiday sales. I got a ScanGauge II for the Prius. I don't know what she got me yet.

Congrats, Evan.