1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$1000 off MSRP?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by riparian, Mar 21, 2005.

1. riparian

riparian New Member

I'm wondering if I should have waited a little longer.

After much haggling over price, the deal we finally made was for a new Seaside '05 at $1000 under MSRP. In just the two or three weeks that I had been shopping (Northern California), inventories seemed to come up quite a bit - makes me think I might have done better?...

In any case, we're excited to be getting a new Prius, and hope not to visit the pump as often as my 17mpg pick-up required!

Joe

2. SaraM

SaraM New Member

Wow, great price! That was my target price ($1000 under) and color. I'm in Southern Cal. Where did you buy and were there alot of misc. fee's involved?

Thanks

3. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Late last week I ran the Toyota vehicle locator for my area.

One Prius on the lot in the entire SE. And I know for a fact they had two, each with a 3,500 dollar markup.

Obviously someone paid 3,500 over MSRP and the other is still being offered with that extra profit.

I'd say that the SE has no inventory of Prii and the Toyota people have oversupplied California.

But with 3.xx a gallon gas in some parts of California, it has to be a matter of time before that inventory is gone for good.

4. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Was that MSRP with leather seats etc., or base price?

5. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My very 1st phone call to a dealer in So Cal got me a $600 offer under MSRP.
    I'm certain that $1000 under is very realistic.

Good job....and thanks for posting!
    Enjoy your new P*

What Package?

6. riparian

riparian New Member

answering my own question!

Seems $1000 off was too good a deal - the dealer (Dublin Toyota) either couldn't or wouldn't supply the car we had negotiated for. After waiting for a week, I asked for my deposit back and went elsewhere.

I ended up buying an '05 Salsa Red, package #3.

Dealership: Stockton Toyota
    List price: $22,766 + tax
    Price I paid: $22,016 + tax.

Plenty of dealers I talked to wouldn't budge off of MSRP, and one (Fremont Toyota) had even tacked on an additional $6000 markup! As a buyer, know that there are better deals out there, and don't listen to the big lie, i.e., "No one discounts the prius"...

7. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer I was negotiating with over the phone also "Flaked". He assured me he could do $1k off on a #6. When I called back the next day........he passed me off to a fleet dealer who spoke to the general sales manager and the best they could come up with was $700 off MSRP.......
    I will probably pick it up Sunday eve.
    Blue package 6........

8. ml194152

ml194152 Member

It looks like the only place you're going to get a Prius for less than MSRP is California, where 40% of the US Prius production goes to. :roll:

9. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. BoBraxton

BoBraxton New Member

Drove home Pkg# 2 P* about 10 days ago in Fairfax, VA. Today is Wednesday a week later (bought in one day, that Monday). We had been told $500 off MSRP is standard in this area. We took a different color (wanted the Green) and Pkg# (I wanted Pkg# 4 ) to make the buy.

11. Escalade_on_22s

Escalade_on_22s New Member

I just bought an '05 package 6 from Bud-Eyre Toyota in Ridgecrest, CA for $25,800. It came to $27,921 out the door with tax and tags. That's at least $1K below MSRP, but I would have payed whatever they wanted. I'd recommend buying now before gas hits 3.xx everywhere in California and inventory runs out.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

It's interesting to read this, and then hear all the media reports about (a) the scarcity of Prii because of gas prices and (B) used Prii selling for over MSRP.

Two months ago, I was sure the Prius shortages were over with -- production appeared to finally have caught up with demand, and we're obviously seeing below MSRP prices.

Now I'm wondering if things are getting tighter, or its just various Toyota dealers trying to use gas prices and rumors to drive up Prius prices.

13. toddwking

toddwking Average Joe

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Question for Riparian: Besides Stockton & possibly Dublin, which other dealers would you suggest I contact? I'd be happy with $700 under MSRP.

Also, dumb rookie question - Why is the list price $21,766? The toyota website says a "base" price of $20,975, plus $1100 for package #3 = $22,075?

(In case you couldn't tell, I'm preparing to buy a basic Prius and am trying to make sure I get the best price possible).

14. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, you poor, poor people. Come up to The Province of British Columbia, Canada and get a $2000 tax break on any hybrid car. 8)

15. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Or come to Puerto Rico and buy one for $1500 below msrp. It's all a matter of supply and demand; the Prius has not sold well here so all Toyota dealers have one or two in their lots.

16. riparian

riparian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toddwking\";p=\"81873)</div>
    The only Bay Area dealers I found that would sell for less than MSRP were Sunnyvale Toyota and Dublin. Sunnyvale said that they discount all Prii, $250-500 off MSRP, depending on options. Dublin required more negotiating, and in the end they weren't able to come up with the car we agreed on, but I did get them to $750-1000 off, depending on options.

Salesman Al Khan, at Toyota Town of Stockton (800-877-5150), sold me a BI at $750 off MSRP, and a friend subsequently purchased an AM from him also at $750 off. Give him a call and see if you can work a deal...

-riparian-

17. bengreen

bengreen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Senna,

We got a $1500 (US!) federal tax break on our 2004, PLUS a $2000 Oregon State tax credit.

18. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bengreen\";p=\"82986)</div>
    Aw, crap. :cussing:

19. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bengreen\";p=\"82986)</div>
    Hmmm... fire your accountant. The Federal tax deduction on your 2004 should have been $2,000.