1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100k DIY Service Sequence Advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by f.s.prius, Apr 15, 2016.

1. f.s.prius

f.s.prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After replacing the HV battery recently have gotten much more familiar with the Prius beyond oil change and filter type maintenance. Its due/overdue for its major 100k service (currently at 110k) and we had planned on having dealer do the service but after seeing what the charges are for many of the items have decided to take an afternoon or two and DIY.

I am looking for some advice from those with experience what the recommended sequence should be for the following. Leery of making too many changes at one time and having to reverse chase any issues that may come up. But also want to maximize the efficiency of "while you're there, you should do this".

So what is planned:

• Air Filter
    • Spark Plugs
    • Engine Coolant
    • Inverter Coolant
    • Transaxle Fluid
    • PCV Valve
    • Radiator Hoses Upper and Lower (will inspect first)
    • Clean MAF Sensor
    • Clean Throttle Body
    • Flush Brake Fluid (dealer or Toyota shop)
    • Serpentine Belt
    • Water Pump? (dealer reported slight seepage, haven't confirmed)
    Plan on using Toyota parts or original supplier (i.e. Aisin, Denso) to Toyota. Am I missing anything for 100K? Been scouring the forum and its been great but can be a bit of a rabbit hole.

Dealer also recommended brake service soon (not urgent) but I plan on inspecting to confirm. Don't have a shop I trust yet. That will be a separate event.

Considering replacing the plug ignitors but leery of just doing it (for $200-250) if not really necessary.
    However the car is a 2004 so I'm trying to stay ahead of things now after the HV battery experience.

Suggestions?

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Looks good. Skip the coils until you get a P030_ error, flashing CEL or slight "miss" during accelerations.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good list. You'll want a Mini VCI for the engine coolant work and brake fluid flush.

If you inspect the brakes yourself, inspect CV joints and steering gear, too.

4. f.s.prius

f.s.prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Got a MVCI when the HV battery failed. Wanted to be able to read and confirm codes.

For the coolant work would this be used to manually run the pump while bleeding? Saw the online video where the guy basically jumpered the relay with a multimeter while bleeding.

I'm a little cautious about messing with the Techstream too much since I'm very new to the software. Reading codes is one thing but worry that I could really mess something up unintentionally.

Anyone know of a "NEVER DO THIS" list regarding MVCI and Techstream?

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Running the coolant pump with Techstream is a no-brainer, and less likely to do damage than jumpering the relay.

You can also see coolant temp with Techstream, useful when checking the radiator level.

I have not yet run into a "watchout" situation with Techstream. It seems to be pretty mechanic-proof.

It's been nice to customize the security system, too. I disabled the panic button and set all doors to open with one push. I also like seeing all tire pressures at a glance.

6. f.s.prius

f.s.prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good to know, haven't plugged in the MVCI just to explore yet. The nuisance items you changed would be good, hopefully I can disable the reverse chime as well. Had done it previously the "button dance" method and it came back after the HV battery swap.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the proposed radiator hose change: I suggest you inspect the hoses by squeezing each. If you find that the rubber remains pliable and does not show any cracking, then there is no need to replace the hoses.

You will also find that the hose near the inverter will not be very easy to replace.

If you do not have any engine misfire codes and the spark igniters are in good physical condition then there is no need to replace them.

8. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'd go in this order:
    • Air Filter (easy diy)
    • Clean MAF Sensor (easy diy)
    • PCV Valve (diy medium)
    • Clean Throttle Body (easy diy)
    • Spark Plugs (easy diy)
      • Transaxle Fluid (Must do, very important. Toyota Dealer did it for me for $80 drop and fill)
      • Serpentine Belt (if you see any cracking I'd do it. It's a cheap fix i'd just do it just in case. Belt is $20, labor shouldn't exceed $50.)
    • Engine Coolant (do these are same time as waterpump. )
    • Inverter Coolant (If it's fine i'd skip this.)
    • Flush Brake Fluid (dealer or Toyota shop) (I did mine for the first time at 170k miles - Dealer only.)
    • Water Pump? (dealer reported slight seepage, haven't confirmed) (I'd do this with a good mechanic, not dealer. )
    • Radiator Hoses Upper and Lower (will inspect first) (Mine is 2008 , never did it, don't need it. )