1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100k required maintenance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JMalmsteen, Mar 1, 2010.

1. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey..I have a 2007 prius with 137k miles. The only things I have done are as follows: changed the oil every five thousand miles, replaced the rear shocks, changed the tires a few times, some air filters. At 100k I changed the spark plugs. That's it. I've been very lucky and haven't had any issues.

But, at this point, is there anything that I should get done? I heard that some of the fluids should be changed or flushed. Any advice on this? Thanks!!:)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace transaxle fluid.

3. triumph1

triumph1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PCV valve, and both engine and inverter coolant.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check to see if the inverter pump is still working. You should see waves in the coolant when you open up the cap. If it is getting weak, change it before the summer come.

Check your brake pads and shoes. I doubt you will need to change it any time soon. If you brake hard, you may need to.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is how my PCV valve looked like when I changed it at around 100k miles.

[​IMG]

6. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On Patrick's advice,i did some Preventative Maintenance at around the same mileage on my 06 Taxi,

Inverter Coolant Pump [Change Coolant at same time]
    Engine Water Pump [Change Coolant at same time]
    Thermostat
    Serpentine Belt
    Radiator Hoses
    PCV Valve
    Transaxle Fluid

I did notice when changing water pump that there was some coolant [pink] coming from the weep hole,so it was almost sure to have gone sometime after i replaced it...you don't want that to happen,

Regards.

7. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I think replacing the pumps is overkill...I think pumps will probably last will into 200k miles. Same with hoses (my 1994 MR2 is still on the original hoses, water and oil pump with 190k miles). But that's just me I guess.

Since these cars do not have a temperature gauge, do they turn on a light when there is a problem with the thermostat (either too hot or too cold)?

8. ozymandias

ozymandias Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading this thread I take back what I said about the inverter pump. I think I might replace mine pretty soon. However, I still think the ICE water pump probably has a lot more life in it.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you will periodically inspect the engine water pump pulley, looking for antifreeze stains, then no problem. You'll get a reasonable amount of advance warning on the engine water pump before a serious failure.

In Hal's case, since his livelihood depends upon continued proper functioning of his car, I recommended that he replace the engine water pump as a preventive measure.