1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

10K Service and Mice Woes...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Blu-ray, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I took my car in Friday for it's 10K service (not at 10 K yet but getting close). When I picked up my car I was informed about a couple mice who had made their home in my car's engine compartment. Nothing appeared damaged from what I was told. But it appears that I have to worry about mice now. I thought being in the city and not the country where field mice usually are located, I wouldn't have to worry about this. I guess I was wrong. *JOY*

Of course I told my partner and he said "Oh is that what makes the wheels spin on your car?" Damn Mustang driver!

2. CodyDouglas

CodyDouglas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Had the same thing on my company car which was parked at the airport for a week....only they (rats) did some serious damage. Dealer suggested placing a few bars of smelly soap (i.e. Irish Spring) in the engine compartment area as the critters apparently don't like the smell and will go elsewhere.....not sure if it really works but have it in all our car engine compartments now....no issue since (may or may not be a coincidence)....figure it can't hurt!

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry to hear about that. there is a good thread on here to mouse-proof the prius.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I prefer petroleum based rustproofing, like this.

It is cheap, easy to apply, can be used to coat wiring and connectors, and will last the life of the car.

If you're up North or in an area of high road salt use, you can spray it on your brake lines, which will rust out in time.

5. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Where should I put the Irish Spring soap at? I'd hate to put it in the engine compartment and have it mess up something. Knowing my luck it would get lodged in something that costs 10K to replace. LOL

6. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, I know about those threads. I just thought I would start a new one. :oops:

I just didn't want to bump an old thread from the past ya know? I don't want to be considered a necromancer!

7. CodyDouglas

CodyDouglas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just kind of crammed a few bars wherever it wouldn't fall out or move around so that they never dislodge/get next to anything hot/etc.. About a year later I replaced them as the smell dissipates. (The mechanic seems to like it as it is refreshing when they open the hood-haha!) Again, don't know if this really works but I will say: so far-so good, and it was recommended by the dealership who said they see about a car a month in the winter, that had critter issues (not just the Prius). Who knew?

Blu-ray likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would put cheese in your partners engine compartment.

MichaelSpeziale and Blu-ray like this.