1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'11 prius4, *JBL*-possible to upgrade radio & keep steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dan Harmon, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Dan Harmon

Dan Harmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2001 Prius, level 4 with JBL. I went to Crutchfield because I hate my radio (primarily because it won't scroll text and I have XM and kinda want to know full artist or song names :p ).

I did a search there, and because I have JBL I have zero options to keep using my stock steering wheel controls. However, if I didn't have JBL I'd have a couple options.

So I'm wondering if maybe I just need to buy a better Toyota Prius factory radio...if I can find one. Does this sound like my only option?

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the controls on the steering wheel should be able to migrate into your next radio you get as long as what you get has the options available. There are adapters to make this work in the after market. You may lose some fuctions that relate to the car's fuel and power reviews, but thats up to each person to decide if they can live without that.

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The steering wheel controls will work with the proper module. What aftermarket radios are you looking at? From my research, the compatibility issue is a result of the JBL amp equipped on our cars.