1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11377 Primes sold so far in USA this year!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by 1x1, Aug 1, 2017.

1. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just found this interesting Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

11,377 sold this year, plus 2,422 last year. 13,799 total.

Glad to have one of them!

I find it strange though. I've only seen 2 other Prius Primes on the road.

You'd also think there would be a lot more owners posting to the threads here. I guess a lot of read-only users?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice! probably a lot of cali hov people who only bought them for the sticker, and don't care to chat about their car.
    So that's almost twenty thousand a year, not bad considering the supply constraint.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In the USA alone there were 17.5 million vehicles sold last year and over 250 million total on the road.

4. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    But it looks like the Prime is not selling as well as the older Prius was, during the high fuel prices...

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's impossible to conclude with inventories so different.

6. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If they sell 15,000 this year, compared to 17,500,000 other vehicles, that is still less than one in a thousand sales. No wonder we don't see them in the wild.

Son of Gloin and 1x1 like this.
  7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have one and I am not giving it back. I am still "Prime free" for seeing one in the wild. Have about given up. But I have to remember, I live in the middle of nowhere and don't get out much.

Son of Gloin and Mark57 like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't live in cali, the odds are astronomical. if you do, they are still very high.

Son of Gloin likes this.
  9. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Last Friday, including mine there were three roaming around here within a square mile (technically 4 as one parks across the street from my office). First time that's happened, though I have run into 3 while driving for a stretch.

Most I've seen back east was two on the road between Boston and Cape Cod. I thought that was pretty cool!

10. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have seen one yesterday on the NJ Turnpike between Newark Airport and New York City (via NJ Turnpike Extension)

11. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My wife - a.k.a. the War Department - has seen three Primes the last four to five months... one with FL plates, one with TX, and one with IN. I'm thinking all of them were probably just "passin' through". As for ME? I ain't seen none!

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, not too many Pri running around middle earth. :LOL:

13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read Toyota is planning minor face lift on 4th Gen Prius to make them look like PRIME. If that happens mimicry is going to make it harder to find authentic PRIME in wild.

14. NeilPeart

NeilPeart Hybrid & PiP Convert

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    In the Bay Area I see several Primes everyday, along with an assortment of Prius varieties (Gen I, Gen II, Gen III, Gen IV, PiP, C and V). I also see many Volts, several Bolts, a few Sparks, a ton of Leafs and a dozen or so Teslas (original Roadsters, Model S, Model X and a single Model 3). I see a variety of high-end sport/luxury card semi-regularly (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Bentley, etc.). I even see a couple of Fiskar Karmas every once in a while.

I must say that the Prime does look much better to me than the Gen IV. One day there was Gen I, Gen II, Gen III, Gen IV and Prime all within view and even though I prefer the Gen III overall, the Prime looked 2nd best to me and is growing on me…

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love the lift back tail lights. was hoping they would add them to prime when they lower the hatch floor.

16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They need to keep that black grill as a Prime exclusive! The headlights are not too bad though.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not yet to see PRIME's Quad-LED projector headlights in action. Are they blighter than regular Halogen head lights?

18. Civic4982

Civic4982 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In SoCal and see one almost daily now. They must all be inCA.

I bought mine just for sticker access. Good gas mileage and comfortable to drive just an added perk.

iPhone ?

19. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, i think they would sell alot more if Toyota corporate would think differently....case in point...i tried to initially buy a prime at my local dealer...he would not sell the 2 primes they had...they said corporate wouldn't allow it...they had to stay in the TRAC (rental) program for 6 months...who in their right mind would rent out the prime to renters who have no clue of the prime or the prius ,for that matter,...as a prius driver since 2003, it took me 7-10 days to come up to speed on the prime...the typical renter would run the battery down, not recharge it...drive like an idiot, and beat the car up...i know when i drove their prime for a day...it was dead on the battery...mpg was 20 and all marred up ...i at least charged the battery up for them...(the cord was still wrapped up...had never been used)...so in order for me to get the prime...i hunted on line...found one 200 miles away...and went to buy it...the new dealer was absolutely floored that my close dealer would put the prime in the TRAC program...Insane....!!!...put corollas, camrys, avalons, one prius c and a tacoma in the TRAC program...not the prime...
    so i think Toyota would sell more primes if they would keep the prime out of the TRAC program...given that the demand is higher than the supply...why screw with it in TRAC....btw the Chicago district is the culprit in this assinine decision on the TRAC crap...

#19 wb9tyj, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I visited San Diego last year. The citi's entire fleet of taxi were Prius. I think they were mostly 3rd Gen models. Although with a tiny cargo space, I doubt PRIME is on the fleet.