1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 gallon fill?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cundel, Jun 15, 2005.

1. cundel

cundel New Member

I just finished a round trip from Bear DE. to Key West FL. Total distance driven was over 2800 miles. I was amazed how my Prius performed filled with two passengers, four suitcases, small cooler, back pack with camera gear, and other various items. There were time when I was running at 80mph and getting an average 50mpg. I even took it up to 96mph and it handled extremely well. It was comfortable riding even in extreme rain, heat and traffic conditions. On the trip I saw 13 other Pri and even exchanged conversation and thumbs up hand signs with a few. The Prius
    evoked numerous conversations from people that walked away saying they were now going to test drive one, after hearing me brag on and on about mine. I even met a person that had just gotten the Lexus SUV 400h.
    The only crazy thing that happened was twice, with one bar showing on the guage (not blinking), I was able to put 12 gallons in the tank without it spitting back at me. All in all, I was extremely proud of my Prius and feel that I might have sold a number of people and at least I directed them to Priuschat.com where they could read pros and cons for themselves.

Happy Prius owners from Bear, Delaware
    Paul & Bev Kates
    2005 Silver #9 package
    ps. Rear and side decals is what made people notice.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like that gas station needs a surprise visit from the state weights and measures inspector.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or he really filled it up well. Don't forget there's the filler pipe and that's at least a gallon or so. And apparently the nutters in Japan can fill 60 litres in our 45 litre tank. That's almost 4 gallons up and above our capacity. Something about raising the rear left wheel.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Do the Japanese models have the bladder? I can see how a bladderless tank cuold be overfilled by "burping" out the air pocket at the top of the tank, easier in a slant. But with a bladder, that won't help you.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They don't have a bladder. They have a charcoal canister to take care of emissions similar to that on the RX440h/Highlander Hybrid