1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 V battery dead

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clifford, Dec 14, 2006.

1. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just curious. I was working on installing bluetooth and evidently did not get the dome lights turned off. The battery went dead. The first power was on and not the engine running power.
    Should there not be some sort of automatic power off on this car? So you don't totally drain the battery?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just some thoughts off the top of my head: Every car has the ability to have dome lights on, and even headlights on, when the engine is off. This can drain the 12 v battery. I've done this inadvertantly a couple of times with other cars. The big difference is that with the Prius it takes a small fraction of the power to start the car, because you only have to boot the computer. So it's much easier to jump-start.

I think your question is a valid one, but not unique to the Prius. Shouldn't any car have some way of preserving enough battery power to start the car? Of course, the Prius 12 v battery is too small. It drains easier than other cars.