1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12-v. battery died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daniel, Feb 1, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I went to open the hatch this afternoon to see if my new painting would fit so I could take it to the frame shop, and the hatch would not open. Nor would the door-unlock button work. The fob wouldn't open it either. Then I realized no dash lights were on, and the car would not start. I thought there was supposed to be a way to open the hatch from the inside, but I crawled into the back and could not find it.

So the 12-v battery was dead.

I considered going to Sears (in the other car) to buy a battery booster, but I looked on line and getting someone to jump-start the car was cheaper.

It's been eight years and two weeks since I got the car, and my experience has been that car batteries last about four years. This was my second battery. The first one lasted about 4 years also. It certainly didn't help that it's probably been 2 months since I drove the car. I'd have driven it 2 weeks ago, to go to the airport, but the weather was nasty so I took a cab instead.

So it cost me $40 to have a wrecker come out and give me a jump-start. Then I drove to the dealer and had a new battery put in. I also bought a battery minder, and had them fix up a pigtail cable to plug it into. (They fixed up the cable for free since I was buying the new battery.)

I suppose if I'd had the minder, the battery would have lasted longer, but hey, my experience is that the battery was probably near its end anyway.

R.I.P. 12-v.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :doh: i hate when that happens. good advice for those of us who think our batteries will last forever.;)

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's what happens when you get an EV and let the gas guzzler languish.

A Battery Minder/Tender/Optimate is a good idea for the new one.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what is the pigtail for?? I can only guess its either to hook up a battery minder or a quick disconnect so your battery doesn't drain when sitting for awhile.

Those car accessory magazines sell an attachment for batteries so you can remove a green plug that disconnects the battery so that your battery doesn't drain and is more difficult to steal, useful for people leaving their car in airport parking lots for days or weeks on end.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The manual hatch release is under the floorboards in back. It's a pain to get to it with a closed hatch.

Tom

2 people like this.
  6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The pigtail is to connect the battery minder without having to open the hood and wrestle with that plastic cover over the battery jump terminal, which would be a colossal p.i.t.a., and is why I never had a battery minder before. Others have installed such connectors themselves, but I am not mechanically inclined. When the service guy at the dealership told me they carry battery minders and would install the pigtail, I jumped at the offer.

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm just baffled by all the newbs that are always having 12v battery problems with the prii and replace the OEM with another OEM just to go thru another four years of the ICE constantly charging the inadequate 12v battery.
    The OEM battery is a throw away unit that should be replaced with a real battery asap, in this cast the optima yellow top, the optima is a gel, deep cell battery capable of years of daily use.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hope you aren't implying that daniel is a newb. Look at his post count.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you saying that the Optima will last longer than 4 years? In all my years of driving, I've never had a car battery last much longer than that. Somewhere there's a thread by someone saying their relatively new Optima died.

I'd have replaced it with lithium if there was such a thing. I had a set of AGMs (a kind of deep-cycle gel) go bad on me after six months in the Xebra. Switched to lithium and more than 3 years later they were still going strong when I shipped the car off to be sold on consignment since I had gotten a better EV (also lithium).

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My OEM battery is dated coded 26/11/2004 and still going (though admittedly it probably wont be for much longer). Anyway, that's over seven years old!

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are lithium 12V on the market, but they are hideously expensive, like $1000.

The 12V in my '04 RAV is still original and going strong after 8 years. I've let it run completely dead a few of times. I haven't even had to add water to it. It's only the POS things that Toyota sources from Yuasa or Panasonic that bite the dust at the slightest sign of trouble.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't agree with the 4-5 year thing on all car batteries. i have always gotten 7 or more years from my batteries under regular and customary usage.

13. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've replaced led acid batteries as old as 10 years old. *shrug*

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It seems to be the Priuses that are less frequently driven that have the shortest 12V battery life. I think the Prius 12V battery management is pretty ordinary (basically just a constant 14 volts) and some infrequent drivers don't get enough charge to stop the battery starting to sulphate.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds right, although, i have an 05 dodge truck i drive once a week for 8 miles and the battery still seems strong.

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, and I bet that if you measured the battery charging voltage on the Dodge (at high speed idle) a few minutes after starting and it would be well up around 14.5 volts (maybe even higher). Many cars force a slightly higher charge voltage onto the battery when the car is cold started, probably to rapidly replace the charge lost from sitting and cranking, and then drop back to a more sedate level after that. The prius never really "forces" the charge on the 12V battery as much as some other cars.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Did you notice how the other Optima owners all said it was common? <crickets chirping> Every product will have some failures, the Optima has a lot of happy owners on PriusChat, and at least one unhappy owner.

I think Optima claims it dies less frequently when deeply discharged. If you leave the dome light on overnight every 3 months, then no it is not going to last years longer, just months longer. If you do so once every other winter, yes I think it will last years longer.

Your question seems to be if I never leave the dome light on even once, will it last longer? I don't think Optima makes that claim. Those claiming the stock battery lasted 8 years are those perfect people who never do leave the dome light on. I do not know any of them personally.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Owned many many cars and never seen 14.5 volt charge level. What your claiming would require software and force charging is unnecessary anyway.
    A car's charging system provides a fixed voltage of 13.8 to 14.4 and does not measure current draw. The battery depending on its charge level draws what ever current it requires from the alternator. But the voltage will remain constant. It has to or the regulator is blown. Or really bad.

There is nothing wrong with the charging system on a Prius as you imply.
    Which is why when people upgrade to a decent battery like an Optima they cease to have any battery problems.Stop making up problems this car does not have to prove an erroneous point.

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seriously Ed something as simple as a two stage charger need not be software based. Plenty of simple systems were implemented well before computers were even invented. Next thing you'll be asking, what navigation software did Columbus use to discover the Americas, and was it Apple or Android based?

I had a 1992 Ford Laser and several times measured the 12V battery voltage soon after a cold start, and it was 14.5 or perhaps a little higher. The first time I saw it I did actually think that the reg may have been faulty and that it would boil the thing dry in a few days. But nope, after going for a half hour drive and measuring again it was only 13.8 to 13.9 volts, so there you go. That was an old carburetor engine and I don't think there was a ECU in the entire car, but it was probably a simple two stage charger based on water temperature or something.

Also just tested my other current car, 2005 Mazda 2. Not as dramatic but also clearly a two state charger, 14.4 volts soon after a cold start dropping to about 14.0 after about a half hour drive.

20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And you would need a special charger. Replacing the Prius 12V battery with a lithium one is likely to: A) Make a bomb, or B) Result in a $1,000 brick.

Tom