1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 V Battery drained

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by kstitt, Mar 27, 2012.

1. kstitt

kstitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yesterday when I went to start my week old PIP, the battery was drained. There was no power to start and no power to the dome lights etc. I got out the owners manual and on page 594 there were instructions to jump start which I did. I drove it to the dealer and they checked it out. They said the 12V battery state of charge was 50% after being jumped and driven for 30 minutes. They then charged it to a full state of charge. They couldn't find any other drain overnight.

I am trying to determine why this happened. The reason was not apparent. No interior lights were left on. There were no other electronics attached. We had driven the preceeding two days in EV mode virtually exclusively. I don't recall if the ICE came on. The car sat unused for 36 hours. It had been plugged in to charge the traction battery and it charged via the timer without any apparent errors.

The service tech wondered if the battery had been fully charged prior to delivery. I know the traction battery had not been fully charged becasue I was anxious to take delivery. Does anyone know if charging the 12V battery is something done at the port or by the dealer? I will be alert to any sign of problems into the future. Could this be a consequence of driving in EV mode almost exclusively? I would be interested in hearing if others have a similar issue.

2. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe you forgot to turn your car off with the Power Switch? Do you remember?

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That would not have reduced the charge of the 12v battery as the traction battery would have continued to try to charge the 12v battery if the car was in "Ready".

It is more likely that a door was not closed tight leaving a courtesy light on all night. Even that should not have run down the 12v battery so quickly unless it was already down. Perhaps someone along the delivery path or during the "prep" was listening to the radio. It happens. It may, also, be a faulty 12v battery.

1 person likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Batteries do self discharge, and it's best for lead acids to be stored at full charge. Which means a lead acid in storage should be charged every six months for longest life. If it was drawn down before going into the car, it won't take much to kill the battery. The smaller 12volt of the Prius also has less run time than a traditional car's.

Most modern cars have a protection circuit to keep the battery from discharging until damaging itself. It isn't starter battery which don't fare well from deep discharges. So I don't think you'll see any long term affects from this.

1 person likes this.
  5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    36 hrs with an interior light on will drain the battery.
    it is most likely the 12v battery was never fully charged before delivery, or an interior light was left on. Which is difficult to identify once the 12v battery is dead.
    Anyway, its fully charged now so see what happens over the next few days and check again for any interior/vanity lights on.

2 people like this.
  6. kstitt

kstitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks to those of you responding. It is interesting to note the consequences of a dead battery in the PIP. If it becomes necessary to jumpstart your car, there is a connection in the fuse box under the hood for the positive terminal. Be extremely careful not to short the connection. If you need to tow the car with a dead battery you first need to supply 12V power to the car to get the transmission out of park.

The consequences of losing power resulted in losing all statistical eco trip info in the computer, as well as the clock and calendar memory. I did NOT lose my destinations in the Nav or my presets on the radio.

I'll post again if there are any additional problems.

Kirk

7. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Talk about frustrating. I questioned the other day, just how is the 12 Volt battery charged in the PIP. Does the ICE have to run to charge it, or does it get charged when the traction battery is plugged in? I use almost pure EV all the time also.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V battery gets charged from the inverter when the traction battery comes on-line, i.e. when you hit the Start button and goes to Ready mode. It is possible the battery got discharged when they shipped it, perhaps they never turned off the Smart key after initial test driving it onto the ship. Anyways it is something the dealer probably should check.

2 people like this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Not so, for the notoriously under powered teeny Prius battery. Read back over the years & years of dead battery experiences. You drain the aux battery is a Toyota hsd system, and it really kills the battery's health. That's why so many here on PC have switched over the little OEM aux battery to the Yellow top Optima. THOSE suckers can handle the abuse, and not end up becoming mortally wounded like the OEM's.

10. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since this is the only place I could find this in my search, I wanted to make sure I'm understanding this completely before I do what I'm planning on doing :D

I'm starting out in astronomy and have the option of using 12v cig. lighter outlets to power the scope and camera. Buying portable power tanks is at least $50, and goes way up to over $150 depending on what you get. Ideally I'd like to build a LiFePO4 power unit, but prices on those cells are still very high. So, I was wondering if I could use the 12v on the Prius (Gen III) to power my equipment..? Seems as long as I leave the car in Ready mode, using the plugs should be fine, and the power should be coming mostly from the traction battery (6.5 amp-hours, if I read that right.. way more than I need at present for just the scope and camera for a few hours). When that gets low, the car should start the ICE and recharge the traction battery some, correct?

Not that I want to use the ICE as a generator long term, but until I get a better portable power supply, will my Prius work just fine as a power tank?

11. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, that will work fine. I've even slept in a Gen II in Ready w/ the heater turned. Automatic climate control kept the temperature perfect even though there was snow outside.

12. kstitt

kstitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I suspect you should be OK, as long as the traction battery is supplying power through the inverter to charge the 12V battery. I don't know the exact specs on the 12V battery, but it is rated less than the standard ICE car battery.

I've heard stories of folks who have run an inverter through the 12V socket and used the traction battery and ICE to provide power to the external inverter. I would like to understand the amp rating limitations on this. It's not something that I am planning on doing unless there is some emergency situation.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Keep your Prius in Park and Ready and all will be good. The Prius can't charge the HV battery in Neutral.

Tom

14. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To the OP: Agree totally with the above. AND to any new Prius owners, Pip or otherwise. Once the 12V battery is dead, it is very unlikely that it will keep a charge properly. Monitor the 12V SOC very closely especially in the first year when the dealership may (used advisedly) may replace it. The unfortunate ongoing problems with those batteries is that the dealers do not have the right equipment to test the battery, the ability to determine a problem nor the desire to replace the battery considering the battery as non-warranteed. Under no circumstances leave a door or hatch ajar! :mad: