1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 v Battery replaced on Prius + (Bosch S4 019)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ginnupotter, Apr 26, 2021.

1. ginnupotter

ginnupotter New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    V

This is my first post on the forum.
    I bought a Toyota Prius Wagon 2012 model (as Prius + is called in NL) in October.

The car was running fine but last Saturday it just refused to start (or unlock). I called roadside assistance and sure enough it started with a jump. I drove for some time to have enough charge for starting next morning. But again it next day it refused to charge.

Just came back from Toyota dealer after a battery replacement, but they put in a Bosch S4 019 battery. Which as per my online check, not meant for cars with Start Stop systems. I called then to ask about it and they said its a Hybrid and not a regular Start Stop system so the battery is perfect for it.

I am not sure if this is indeed the right battery for the car. Would really appreciate if someone can confirm if this is ok or i need to push the dealer again.

The part number mentioned on the bill was 28800YZZPC

Thanks,
    Varun

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Depends if the battery is an AGM or standard flooded lead acid. The factory battery is an AGM battery with a vent tube access. The primary advantage is increased deep cycle capability, meaning it will take more deep discharges than a standard lead acid battery. This adds long life and reliability. Also the AGM's battery acid is locked in a fiberglass mat making it a little safer for interior locations. It charges faster but is more expensive than a standard lead acid. A lead acid is better at short term high current requirements that a conventional car starter requires.

ginnupotter likes this.
  3. ginnupotter

ginnupotter New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the response. I tried finding some reference for the battery and found a bosch pdf. As i suspected its a regular battery S4 type in below image. Its not suitable for cars with start/stop system as per Bosch and I am going to ask dealer to replace it. Whats further bad is this battery is available for 60 euros in market and they charged me 210 eur for it.

upload_2021-4-26_22-34-58.png

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Capacity is NOT a problem, as that battery does NOT turn an actual starter motor.
    And it appears to have a 4 year warranty so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. They you sold a good battery for the price of the better AGM the car was originally supplied with.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't confuse prius hybrid with a start/stop where the 12v powers a starter motor.

your concern should be that the battery is inside the cabin, and needs to vent to the exterior.

a toyota dealershould not be selling/installing batteries that don't.

as far as price goes, an oem is over $200. here, and installation at a dealer can be up to another $200.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. ginnupotter

ginnupotter New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    V
    As per the features of the battery installed it does seem to be suitable for interior installation and i checked it does have the vent tube attached.

but one question, since my driving is mainly in city, which means a lot of switching between battery and engine, isn’t an AGM battery the most suitable for this? As i might have 3 years warranty with this battery but still chances of failure are higher on this.

also one final question, once the car is given a jump start, how does the engine kick in if 12v battery is not holding charge? I was really nervous driving towards the dealer whenever the car went on EV mode that it might not be able to come back to ICE mode.

bisco likes this.
  8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Once you are in Ready, the 12v is continuously coming from the inverter's dc to dc converter which is taking a portion of the hv batteries 201vdc and regulating it into the nominal 12v. Regardless of the gas engine's running state.

While the car is in Ready mode, the 12v aux battery is essentially being charged by the inverter so that it is capable of providing power for the next Off to Ready cycle that you initiate. One could argue it is being used as a ballast to ensure smooth 12v power and might supply current in certain momentary high amp draw situations such as electric heat combined with power steering while being abused by some Canadian's 1500w inverter.

An AGM battery can take a higher charging voltage than a flooded lead acid battery. I would rather have the AGM as it is a better, longer life battery. Assuming you current battery is not AGM.

#8 rjparker, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This.
    But......you are more likely to have a piano fall out of a UFO and land right on your head than you are to have any problem created due to not having a battery with a vent hose.
    :)

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you are still confused.
    prius does not use the 12v battery to start the engine. it is there to boot up the computers and close the relay to the hybrid battery.
    the hybrid battery is much larger, more important and more expensive than the 12v battery.
    imoves the car when the engine isn't running, and starts the engine in the (as you put it) start/stop feature.
    once the 12v has fired up the computers, it is no longer necessary, until the next time you press the start button.
    the hybrid battery, along with the engine and inverter/converter take care of everything.

if the bosch is vented, you are good to go.

do a little research on hybrid battery, it will be enlightening. or better yet, there are lots of youtubes on how prius works.

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And that statement just proves that YOU are more than a bit confused too.
    While it is theoretically possible that it is true, it is highly unlikely.
    And it is a proven fact that you aren't qualified to make statements like that about how electronic systems are engineered.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks sam, i love you too.:)

Air_Boss likes this.
  13. jackmilas

jackmilas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    actually, bisco describes perfectly how the hybrid system operates

bisco likes this.
  14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Except for the part about a 12 V battery not being needed once the system is "started".
    With many/most/all modern computer controlled vehicles, they will not run right.......or at all.......if the 12 V battery is missing or completely dead.

15. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am voting with @bisco and @jackmilas.

The 12 volt battery doesn't really do anything, once the Ready Light is on. Its sole purpose in its lonely life is to help the computers boot the Hybrid system. I don't think that is the same thing as saying it is OK to remove the 12 volt battery at any arbitrary time, but what @bisco said is correct.

That is why the "Start Stop" rating doesn't matter. The 12volt battery does not re-start the engine when you put your foot on the gas at traffic lights.

16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is not an election.
    The 12 V battery still provides a load and a filter for the charging system, no matter what design the system has.
    With some systems, the "regulator" circuitry needs to see a battery in place or it shuts down.......or has a fit.

I do not know if the various Prius models work that way or not.

17. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    @Sam Spade You are overthinking this, and in the process being rather rude. I don't think rudeness has a place in this forum; we are here to help people.

@bisco has not suggested that one could run the Prius without a 12 volt battery installed. He is only suggesting that the 12 volt battery is "not needed" when the ready light is on. The voting consensus is interpreting @bisco's "not needed" as meaning: "does not provide a meaningful amount of current".

@rjparker made the point that the 12 volt battery might need to to be there to act as "ballast" to make a 12 volt charging system happy. That would definitely be true in a traditional charging system. Ballast implies very little current is going in or out of the battery. But the 12 volt charging system in a Prius does not have a traditional Alternator, Voltage Regulator, or starter, so I am not convinced the "ballast" function is that important. I am not going to remove my 12 volt battery to check it out.

The primary purpose of the 12 volt battery in a Prius is to be there when the computer and inverter start up, and for the dome and body lights to work when the Ready Light is off. This is not obvious because the ICE is constantly is starting and stopping while the ready light is on. The traction battery and the inverter take care of that power (which is the point @bisco was clarifying when replying to @ginnupotter).

It is easy to get confused because some modern non-hybrid cars that turn off their ICE's at stoplights, and start again when the driver touches the gas pedal. Those vehicles require the 12 volt battery to do substantial work to restart the ICE while the key is on. @ginnupotter may have been subject to this common confusion when looking at 12 volt batteries.

In the context of @ginnupotter's post, @bisco is still not confused. My vote stands.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial: it's presumably @sam spade 2 you meant to address.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, not sure sam spade 1 or 2 is getting the message :cool:

20. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are Correct, I missed that "2" at the end. My apologies to the @Sam Spade.

In my early internet experience, I wanted to use the username "Gromit" everywhere. It is a reference "Wallace and Gromit", a series of claymation short movies by Nick Park in the early 90s. I am more like the absent minded tinkerer "Wallace", than his obviously smarter dog, Gromit. Anyway, Gromit, and Gromit2 were always taken as usernames, so I settled on GromitToo. 20 years later, and I still am able to get that username anywhere I need it. Just a suggestion for those who hate usernames ending with numbers.

Mendel Leisk likes this.