1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt Aux Battery: Is that causing various weird behaviors and RED TRIANGLE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eatdrumss, Dec 8, 2013.

1. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its cold out and the ICE is not staying on long enough to properly charge the Hybrid Battery on screen...so I had to drive back home and park my car in the driveway...I got the Red Triangle and the Check Engine light that came on when i experienced this...

I just had my oil changed
    My car would occasionally move with the brake pressed going from P to R....Dealer said that is bc of 12v batt.
    I went to my diagnostics screen and the battery read 11.6-7 ....how bad is that?
    My Speed sensors need replacing bc my speed/odometer is not functioning.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes, it sounds like your car would benefit from a new 12V battery.
    2. The "combination meter" probably has failed and this is why the speedometer is not working. This may be covered under an extended warranty, if so you should have received a letter to that effect. Do a search for more info about the extended warranty.

3. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just replaced my 12 volt. I was getting 11.9 volts on my diagnostic screen. Then the other morning (at -16F) I ended up having to jump start the car. Getting that fuse box cover off at that temp was not a fun job. The temps are still cold but the car starts right up anyway. I'd recommend a battery replacement. My drive to the nearest dealership is 50 miles. My speedometer didn't show up until half way there. All is well now.

4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your speedometer isn't lighting up, that is a failing combination meter board. This is a common problem in cold temperatures and Toyota has issued a special warranty extension. Search for combination meter here and you should find plenty of info.