1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt Auxiliary Battery + Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jsndyr, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jsndyr

jsndyr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Newbie here... I've looked through the forum for an answer to this question, but I'm not finding anything specific to what I am looking for.

I have a 2007 Prius that recently required a replacement of the 12V battery. I frequently travel and the Prius sits for 4-6 days at a time at the airport. My Prius was dead when I returned from my last trip (4 days, really cold weather). I had it jumpstarted and drove it home (50 miles). The next morning it was nearly dead again (turned on some of the electronics, but not all). The battery was obviously dead. So I replaced it with a Toyota battery and all seems well again. I do have questions though.

I have been periodically checking the battery to see if I am getting any sort of drain as I am paranoid about being stranded at the airport again. I have a six day trip coming up and I don't want to come back to a dead car... again.

Here is what I have tracked for the past four days:
    Saturday -- 12.56V (garage temp = 25)
    Sunday -- 12.55V (garage temp - 20)
    Monday -- 12.56V (garage temp - 36)
    Tuesday -- 12.53V (garage temp - 27)

I have the smart key system (SKS) turned off at this time.

I read somewhere on the forum that temperature affects the voltage of the battery (fully charged at 0F is not 12.6). Do these voltages look right considering the age of the battery and the temperature in the garage? Should I be looking at anything else?

Thanks for listening!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How are you checking the battery? Those voltages are a little low for an unloaded fully charged battery, but not bad for a cold Prius battery supplying quiescent loads.

Tom

3. jsndyr

jsndyr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was testing with a multimeter on the jump point found in the engine compartment with nothing running (no aux power, just cold battery). I just checked directly on the battery and showed 12.56V.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you purchase a battery charger and use that to fully-charge the battery prior to your business trips, as well as every two weeks as a maintenance practice. 12.56V when IG-OFF isn't bad, but a fully-charged AGM battery will be closer to 12.9V.

1 person likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just curious, why don't you use a taxi instead of multi-day parking charges?

6. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the OP said (implied) 50 miles one-way to the airport.

7. jsndyr

jsndyr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live a good distance from the airport (50 miles). The cost of parking is still cheaper than taking a taxi and most shuttle services operate within a 25 or 30 mile radius of the airport and those that do service my area cost double what it does to park at the ramp. Ideally, I'd simply use the train, but its schedule doesn't align with my typical travel times.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doesn't the second gen have an under-dash button to disable constant searching for a smart key or something? Maybe that is is significant enough over 4~6 days.

9. jsndyr

jsndyr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, thanks for the tip. I am going to pick up a battery tender today to give that a try. The charge has held pretty steady around 12.55, so I'm not too worried about something putting a drain on the system at this time. Are the Deltran tenders any good?

10. jsndyr

jsndyr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, there is a button for the SKS. I have disabled it for the time being as I read that could have been part of the initial battery drain problem.