1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt batt not charging??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SteveWlf, Feb 16, 2014.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen this a couple times but always made it home with the Red Triangle and VSC warning. A year ago, I blamed it on the OEM 12 volt battery and eventually replaced it with a Optima Yellow Top. No more problem until today. Day time driving with my Plug-in Supply 10k rechargeable conversion performing normally. City driving raining but normal Western WA conditions.
    Ops! Red Triangle and VSC warning. Other systems operating normal.
    I knew, from previous experience that the Prius operating systems would continue to work only until I turned it off. I did turn off the Plug-in Supply controller to isolate that system and observed that the OEM traction battery was at a fairly high state of charge and the ICE was still providing the normal amount of assist to the traction battery through normal street and driving conditions.
    I should have driven the 20 + miles to get home, even with the Red Triangle warning. I had done that in the past with the old OEM 12v battery. But I needed gas and went to a station and turned off the system ICE out of habit. Dah!.
    Sure enough, the system wouldn't go back into Ready but would go from Park to Neutral. Since it was rain hard now, and I was calling my road service, I ask for a Flat Deck Tow home rather than a jump start.
    As soon as I got off the tow truck I put my battery charger on the Yellow Top and it only read 11.7 volts. It's still on charge now.

Now I'm wondering why the power conversion system wasn't charging the 12 volt battery or is my 1 year old Optima bad?? Or is there something about my driving conditions/plug-in conversion that is effecting the charge of this battery. I did a 2400 mile road trip to So. Calif and back to WA without any problems. Car has just 98169 miles right now. About 10k miles on the Plug-in Supply conversion.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

Steve

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you buy the pis new from rob?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would have the codes read before doing much of anything else beside recharging the battery. Could be any number of reasons for the charging system to shut down if it did. Could be a bad battery as you suggested. The codes should give you a starting point.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car will become READY after the 12V battery has been charged, see what the voltage across the 12V battery is. That will help you to see whether the DC/DC converter is working.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The tests required are fairly simple.......if you have a multi-meter to use.
    It is not unheard of for a new battery to go bad.
    Your modifications might make finding the real source of the problem more difficult though.

6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 12 v batt took a full charge and once I had a Prius aware scanner, I cleared the codes set. Sorry I didn't not them but the were of the low numbers and since I had at one time disconnected the battery to to take no-load and current draw readings, there set codes weren't that significant.
    One thing I noticed was a significant current draw on the 12 v battery and later I determined that to be the electric defogger heaters in the windshield vents. I now remember having them on before the initial Red Triangle and this was confirmed when I finally was able to clear the codes and saw that this option was still on. (someday I'd like to check just how much current this system draws.)
    So, the codes and Red Triangle have been cleared and all systems seem to be normal.

Lessons learned:
    Don't leave the windshield electric heaters on too long. (sometime needed when running on the Plug-in Supply conversion due to lack of ICE run time.)

Keep a Prius aware OBDII scanner in car to read or just to clear codes and the Red Triangle. ( My Torque Pro program didn't detect the codes that were set, hmmm! that is strike two against that program!)

Thanks for all the responses to this post and one final note. Keep you road service insurance paid up. It sure beats walking home or trouble shooting in the rain.

Steve

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are these electric windsield defoggers an aftermarket product?