1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt batt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kingkongva, Apr 6, 2016.

1. kingkongva

kingkongva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i got 2010 prius with 118 k. other than routine maintenance, the only thing i replaced last year was a rear bearing ($400)
    i was planning to replace the 12v battery sometime this summer, waiting for the battery warning light to come on. it never did. half of the display on the right side did not lit up. i was not able to put it in drive mode. after turning of and on a few times, i was lucky enough to put it in drive and went home. radio, speedometer, headlight were still working. after i went home, i checked the battery voltage. it was 12.3. next, i recharged the battery for 6 hrs.
    next morning, the whole display work and i was able to put it in drive and get to work. after work, on my way home, i was able to put it in drive after turning the car on and off 4 times. half of the display didnt work. on my way home, i picked up a battery from dealer ($191). i replaced the battery once i got home. now everything is fine. it has been couple days already without any problem
    next stuff to do are the coollant in both the ice and the inverter

bisco likes this.
  2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there is no such a light, LOL.
    a few of us argued there should be one. on the other hand, toyota wanted to make sure driving prius mimics driving a regular car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done o/p! all the best.(y)

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'd say you ignored the warning. Do you really want to be stranded (it WILL happen when you don't have time for it). You DO need a new 12V battery. They can be had from other sources than the dealer.