1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by andyprius, Jan 8, 2006.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While waiting for my wife today, I decided to listen to Bob Brinker on the radio, later it got a bit chilly (65 degrees F) so I turned on the heater. I found that if I just fully power up, instead of using accessory mode, the Prius ICE runs from time to time to charge the HV and this in turn keeps the 12 volt battery in a fully charged state possibly indefinitely. For emergency stranded situations ( in remote area ) this could be a life saving procedure as the ICE runs infrequently (eliminating the CO danger) and with even just half a tank of gas one could stay warm for 1-2 days. It is possible to monitor the SOC of both the HV and the 12V battery on the multi-display. Now if it just had a WC!

2. Brian K

Brian K New Member

I do that frequently as I play taxi driver for the wifes errands on Saturday. At 20 degrees it comes on more frequently than you experienced, and you can watch the MPG head downward each time the ICE comes on. But as you say, it'll run the car for a VERY long time.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    AGREE on all aspects, I sorely miss my 29 below episodes I experienced in Wisconsin. Californians are deprived.