1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery dead - 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by preyes, Jan 31, 2010.

1. preyes

preyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 12v battery dead after about a week of being parked. Can the 2010 be charged via a regular 12v battery charger like a conventional auto? Any tips on jump starting other than what's in the manual?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it is a conventional 12v battery, just smaller. I can't believe it died in just a week. I would at the least mention it to the dealership.
    Was it outside? What was the environment like? Did you leave anything on (lights ,etc)?

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome:
    IT can be catastrophic to reverse the polarity when jump starting, I assume the same for charging so be careful. Observe polarity. Do a complete search on the subject on Priuschat, BEFORE starting!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normal jumping procedure, except you use the jump point under the hood instead of the battery terminal. You can, of course, jump to the battery, but to do that you have to crawl into the back and manually release the hatch.

Tom

5. preyes

preyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Spiderman. as far as I can tell I left no lights or anything else on (is this dead battery thing a Pruis soft spot?). It is garaged, parked in central Florida (a bit cool lately but no great shakes). We live in a golf cart community and can get to most errands via cart. It was a real shock when we got in to go to church this morning and -- nothing.
    Tripple A came out and started it with no problem. Took it for a ride and will have my fingers crossed for tomorrow.
    Any idea if I can use a regular battery charger to to keep it topped off when I'm not using it?
    So far this is the first problem I've had with it and really enjoy it.

6. preyes

preyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Tom, TrippleA came out and got her going. Thanks for the response.

7. preyes

preyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply.
    Thanks for the caution on the polarity.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thankyou for the Thankyou! There is a long history covering various problems, procedures and causes with the 12VDC battery. It is vital that new members SEARCH in Priuschat first and read all the previous posts. All 3 (4) generations are basically the same in regards to the 12V system. With this knowledge one is better armed to discuss the peculiarities of Prius with a tech writer, mechanic or salesman. One lady with the assistance of a tow truck service totally ruined her inverter (a reverse polarity situ) and after weeks of struggle NEVER got satisfaction from her Toyota dealership and ended up selling the Prius at a additonal loss.

9. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I left my car in the garage for over a week and had no problems with the battery. Maybe I was lucky.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can keep the battery topped off with a "battery minder" type of device for AGM batteries. A normal battery charger or trickle battery charger will tend to overcharge and damage the battery if left on for extended times.

As for whether this is a "soft spot" for the Prius, the 12V battery is small, so it will discharge more quickly than a traditional large starting battery. That said, you should be able to leave your Prius parked for several weeks without any trouble.

There are two situations where the 12V battery will have chronic problems:

1) A dead or dieing battery. If you make a habit of leaving lights on or the car door open, your 12V battery will have a short life.

2) Short trips. The Prius uses a constant voltage charging system for the 12V battery. It is effective, but not very fast. If you only drive your Prius for very short trips, the charger will not fully recharge the 12V battery. In this case you should consider a battery minder, or perhaps make a few longer drives.

Tom

Tom

11. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2010 Prius sits outside for weeks at a time in the cold of Western Pennsylvania and has never failed to start. One time it sat for over three weeks and started. There must be some problem with some of them because this issue has reared its ugly head many times.

12. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the dealers are supposed to charge the batteries (new batteries often are not fully charged). When this is not done AND the car sits or endures short trip driving, batteries die young. Looking into battery minder options on another thread now.

13. xvs

xvs Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Get it checked.

I left mine for over 3 weeks and it was fine. The only thing I noticed was that instead of unlocking instantly when I pulled on the door, it switched on at the first pull, then unlocked when I pulled it again.

After that, it started fine.

It may be that your car for whatever reason isn't switching to low power mode when you leave it for a few days.

14. ekutter

ekutter New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 12v battery dies after 36 hours. I had this happen several times after not driving my car for a bit over a full day. Turns out, it is because I leave the rear hatch up while it is in my garage. I have always done this with my cars to air them out since I have a dog. My other cars could be left like this for over a month with never a hint of a problem.

There are no lights on (I check at night when it is pitch black in there).

Has anybody else seen this? Does anybody actually think this is reasonable? 36 hours! A day and a half! Anybody have any suggestions on whether this is fixable, short of disconnecting the battery between drives? For now it means putting the hatch down but we have still left it up by accident now several times after caring arm fulls of groceries into the house.

15. Harold Bien

Harold Bien Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If there are no lights, then perhaps disabling SKS might help. Perhaps the SKS is not shutting off when the rear hatch (or any door) is left open?

16. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not roll the windows down instead of leaving hatch open?

17. colfacs

colfacs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good advice, as a point of referrence, define "short trip".

18. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Short trip as measured in time and not distance. For example, if you drive your Prius only 5 minutes per week.

There is time needed that 12V battery gets recharged fully. So if you do not use your Prius much, 12V battery voltage gets depleted to such extent, that during very short trips, it does not get enough electrical charge.

Another way of charging up your 12V battery beside driving or using battery minder, is to put your Prius into "Ready" mode, let's say for 30 minutes. Basically having it parked, but turned on, so that high voltage hybrid system is online. 12V battery will get its charge via inverter and internal combustion engine will run occasionally when high voltage battery voltage drops below certain level.

19. ekutter

ekutter New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That would be a band-aid fix but doesn't explain why the car uses so much power when just sitting there. It also doesn't deal with the fact that both my wife and I have been known to forget to put it down after grabbing a handful of groceries. The good news is we aren't likely to do this except at home. It still feels like a broken design. But, yes, leaving the windows down would accomplish our goal of keeping the vehicle aired out.