1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery drained

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pixie, May 4, 2005.

1. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Well, here's another drained battery story to add to the pile.

When I tried to turn on the car to leave work yesterday, it went into accessory mode, but wouldn't power the rest of the way up. I soon discovered that I couldn't turn it off, either. Holding the power button down for a count of 10 had no effect. Putting the fob in the slot had no effect other than to lock the fob into the slot.

I ended up having to get it towed to the dealership where the tech confirmed that the 12 volt battery had drained. He said he tested all the systems and claimed they were functioning correctly. He charged the battery back up, but could offer no solution for the root cause of the problem.

For the record, the car is driven about 50 miles daily, had plenty of gas and nothing was left on while I was at work for the day. When I mentioned to the tech that I had noticed the SKS responding a bit sluggishly over the past few weeks he admitted that it was tied to the 12v system, but could offer no further wisdom on the subject other than to say if it happened again they'd replace the battery.

This is the first issue I've had with the car itself (aside from the missing 2 gallons in my theoretically 11.9 gallon tank) which is now at 10,999 miles. I find it hard to believe that the battery just spontaneously drained itself. Has anyone else found a tech who figured out the root problem?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

First, find out what the typical standby current is. 50mA is high, but acceptable by Toyota's standards. 23mA is more typical.

Also a capacity test should be done on the battery to be sure it is holding a charge.

I think I may have found a possible intermittent drain source though, that I need to investigate.
    One of the bigger possible power consumers while the car is off is the hydraulic brake pump.
    I was hearing a very very faint whine or whistle that I thought was the flourescent lights in the garage, but sound remained when they were off. I am suspecting with 5% certainty that it may be the brake pressure leaking back to the low side, which would soon require the pump to reactivate. If this happens often enough, that would drain the battery.
    I suppose an analog clock connected to the ABS relay could count the amount of time that the pump engages.

There was talk that the JBL amp sometimes develops a drain, may want to look into that as well.

One thing to consider: About all the components in the car get their main power from the unswitched 12V line, but also have a power source of lesser current switched on at ACC, Ig1, or Ig2 (ready) to 'wake it up'. Being this the case, any device could get stuck on or partially on.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. 3rd case of unexpected battery drain. Mine happened on the 19th Jan 2005

4. Pixie

Pixie New Member

I took the car to my regular dealership yesterday. They did a load test on the 12 volt and, what do you know, it failed. They replaced it under warranty today.

The tech did mention that because of the rarity of these batteries going bad so early, one possible way to kill them early is accidentally leaving the rear hatch not fully latched (not the case in this instance). Apparently, it's really easy to think you've closed it - but not - and then the light stays on and drains the battery.

One more thing of note:

When the service rep mentioned that the battery swap would reset the system, I asked if I should write down my mileage and mpg. Because I didn't specify that I was referring to the trip mileage, he must have misunderstood because he said it wouldn't get blown away. Although the odometer tally stuck, everything else (trip, mpg, radio stations, previous locations and memory points, etc.) got wiped out. :roll: Be ye warned.

5. GeoffM

GeoffM Junior Member

Figure I ought to chime in here as I was one of the first with the dead 12v battery and fought with various dealers for almost five months trying to get it resolved.

The last trip to the dealer (the fourth and final before I "Lemon Lawed" the thing) seems to have resolved my problem. They replaced the JBL amp and I haven't had a problem since - almost three months now. I'm ready to declare this resolved and chalk it up to a bad amp.

If you have the problem again I strongly recommend leaning on your dealer to look at this as a possible fix before they tell you nothing is wrong. I went through months and months of dealer denial, and many no-start situations before this was finally resolved.

Geoff

6. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Update: The car has been fine since the battery swap until this morning. I couldn't lock the car with the SKS when I got to work and ended up hitting the button inside the door. I tried to futz with it for a minute after that but wasn't getting any reliable results, so I went in to work.

I'll be sure to ask about the JBL amp when the service department opens this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it in.... Thanks for the tip!

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Is the SKS turned on? That would prevent locking with the black button. If it is on, did you get a beep error?

8. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

Also are you sure all the doors and trunk hatch were completely closed when you tried to lock it? I don't have SKS so maybe this doesn't apply, but I recently was unable to lock my car with my remote, though I could do so with the button inside. The problem was that one of the doors was slightly ajar.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If a door is open, it will give a looooong beep when you press the black button.

10. Pixie

Pixie New Member

SKS is on. At this point, I am assuming all doors were in the state that I left them (closed), although my husband was the last to drive the car yesterday and I haven't checked all the doors yet. Mostly, I just got no reaction at all from the remote. After I locked it manually and was futzing with the remote, I got one successful unlock/lock, and a long beep once, but all other times no response.

Incidentally, how long is the battery in the remote supposed to last?

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Ah, you used the remote. Originally you said SKS, which means pushing the black button.

It depends how and how often it is used. It is a standard lithium (usual formula) battery the size of a quarter.

12. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Sorry, actually, I used both. The progression went something like this:

No response from repeated attempts with the black button on the door.
    Dug out the remote and tried that a few times, no response.
    Locked it manually with the inside door button.
    Futzed with black button some more, no response.
    Futzed with remote, got one successful unlock/lock, then nothing.
    Tried black button again, got long beep amid several non-responses.
    Gave up and went to work.

I love being able to get in and out of my car without having to fumble for the remote. Since buying the car, I've been using the SKS almost exclusively.

13. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dan,
    Regarding the noise you heard, long after the system was shut down , I presume, and you suspect the hydraulic brake pump. Is is possible it was the storage tank pump? I have some info contained in a Toyota Tech magazine which states:
    Note:After 5 hours have elapsed with the power switch off, you may hear the storage tank pump operating. This occurs when the ECM has detected a problem and needs to check the heat storage performance of the coolant heat storage tank.
    Just a thought but then I guess you are quite familiar with the pump sound.

14. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

Well I thought is was just a problem with our Prius. Ours has went dead twice now. The dealer we bought the car is 110 miles away. When I called him the first time I got the story of the rear hatch being left open. When we jumped the battery there was not a light on any where. The car ran fine for about two weeks. My wife is on Dialyse and she went to the hospital after she was done the car would not start. I called the dealer and said it happened again. He said they would have the car towed to the dealer but if the battery checked out Good I would have to pay the tow bill. I called the factory rep and was talked to rudely. She said the dealer has to have the car to check it out. I cant afford a large towing bill or be with out the car for a couple of days and then try to find a ride to pick up the car. I don't see Toyotas faith on this problem. Our car is a 2005 with a package #6. We currenty have about 1200 miles on the car. Any Ideas would be a great help. Thanks Jim and Donna

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The faint whistle/whine I heard was within 5-15 minutes of powering off.
    Further pondering has me thinking it was the AC refrigerant settling.

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Cite lemon law. There has been a few reports of strange battery drain, so they do need to earnestly investigate. One was an intermittent JBL amp.

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Regarding SKS, here's a good test. First, be sure SKS button has SKS enabled. Second, observe your fob when using it. Does a little red light blink when you push the lock/unlock buttons?
    If that proves positive, try working with SKS (lock with black button, unlock with touchpad). You should see the LED on the fob respond with SKS requests. If LED is flaky or not happening, esp with remote buttons on fob, replace fob battery.

If SKS sees a problem, it will beep an error.

18. Dan Gross

Dan Gross New Member

I don't know if it's just the salesman providing his opinion or what, but last night when he was going over the features of the car, he pointed to where the 12v was. I mentioned how people were having problems, and he said that there have been reliability problems all along with the gel cell batteries, and that it, if anything is the one "problem" with the car...Again, probably more salesman opinion than fact, but then again I didn't even realize until last night that the 12v battery was a gel cell...

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

i don't think it is a gel cell. It is a sealed, vented lead acid. Some have discussed about replacing it with a gel cell.

20. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Aux. battery is a valve regulated lead acid glass mat battery. It apparently is sensitive to high voltage and a standard battery charger should not be used to charge them. Without an excellent voltage controlled charger you can use a trickle charger as long as the amperage is kept below 3.5A. A jump start is OK and allowing the Prius charging system to restore battery to normal SOC. Just thought I'd throw this in 'cause I think this information is important to us.