1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery failing after test, how hard is it to replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hankleeforever, May 18, 2014.

1. hankleeforever

hankleeforever New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a 2007 touring (after massive shopping around and research) and really like it. I went to the newbie section and read about testing the battery. Mine was down to 9.6 and decided to order an Optima battery as suggested. Has anyone done it themselves? Any details would be helpful. So far, I haven't gotten any warning signs from the car, but I figured better to be safe than sorry. :)

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plenty of people have done the job themselves, myself included. It is not a hard job if you are a reasonably handy person, but is does take more time than some cars as the battery is in the right rear fender and you have to take some bit and pieces to get at it. The first time, it could take you about 45 min to an hour, but the second time on it would only take maybe no more than 30 min start to finish.

This video shows an obviously experienced guy doing the complete job in under 5 mins. It is unfortunate, that he gets in the way to see a couple of key things, like reattaching the earth strap, but if you have a few clues, you'll be ok. On the whole it shows the sequence very well.

You can do the job without the power tools, and a word of warning, make sure you use a magnetic extension (or use some other method, e.g. put a cloth down) to ensure you don't drop the bolt when re attaching the HV battery vent duct. It can take a long time to fish that out from under the battery.

Good luck.

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    45 minutes, after you watch the youtube videos.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dorunron has a great thread on it.

dorunron likes this.
  5. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ALWAYS disconnect the ground (-) cable first and re-connect it last in order to prevent accidently touching the ratchet handle to the frame while on the positive cable, causing a direct short and a spark.

Putting a piece of plastic or paper over the head of the bolt before putting it in the socket will hold the bolt in place to get it started.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you replace the 12v battery? | PriusChat

Read post #8 for detailed information that I posted. I did it in one hour. I am disabled and was able to do it.

With the right tools, patience and a little mechanical skill anyone can do it. The Gen III is even simpler.

Ron (dorunron)

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you bisco for saying that!

Ron

8. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ignore Ron's battery advice at your own peril. I ignored just a LITTLE BIT OF IT -- and paid the price.:cry:

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll be sending people to your house soon.:p

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just a little curious, what "little bit" did you ignore for which you paid the price?

11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thought his tip to remove the negative connection to the car body was wrong and was a waste of time, so I spent some 10 minutes struggling to remove the negative clamp from the battery while it was still in the car. Much easier to take negative clamp off battery once you have battery out of car. I notice Lucious Garage follows Ron's method, also.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are getting a warning light your just not seeing it.

The car throws a red exclamation point upon boot up when the battery that low. Only there for a second but its the only lamp that's not lit on bulb check when you boot it. So you notice it when it appears. It lights upon anything below 11.2 i think. It does not log a DTC either.

Pretty hard to miss.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or just unplug the 2 B+ wires on the positive assy. They just unclick and pull out. Big one and small one.

Take the red plastic cover off and depress the clips and pull. Now you don't have to remove the positive assy at all. Just leave it on and unbolt the one negative (no sparks now) on the chassis and pull the battery out. Tape over old bare neg post on old battery and take off the positive assy and move it over to new battery. New battery should have neg post tape over also as you move the pos assy over to it. Then after pos assy on new battery attach the negative wire to the neg post. Leave it a little loose on the post as the final tighten will be done after you adjust its position relative to the chassis attachment. Its tight in there. But this way no sparks anywhere. Which is why the factory made those cables unclickable.

Check condition of the plug connectors while your at it and maybe add connector grease.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hehe, I have done the same. Seeing it done Ron's way, I wonder why I didn't think of it myself. I guess all those "normal" battery changes I've done in the past must have imprinted the method.

15. hankleeforever

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got it changed without a problem. Now when the air conditioner is running, I'm getting a humming sound from the engine. I'm thinking it has to be the A/C heater blower. When I turn off the air the sound disappears. What do you thing?

16. hankleeforever

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it is the A/C heater motor, how hard is it to get to it and change it?