1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt Battery/MPG Relationship

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by woodrow bryan, May 3, 2023.

1. woodrow bryan

woodrow bryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2015 Prius owner. 147K.

My 12 Volt battery was manufactured in February of 2019. Not sure when it was installed as I bought this Prius used in March.
    Starting to show symptoms of death. Twice now it has either shown flaky computer images and one complete failure to start situation this morning. Voltage reading from under the hood and at the battery showed 7 volts. Hooked up a second battery to jump the system which worked instantly. The engine started and ran for about 45 seconds sending the voltage readings from under the hood to 14.6 and at the battery 14.0. This does not seem possible in just about 1 min of engine run time? An hour or so later voltage readings now 11.84. Drove car 2 miles or so and voltage back up to 14. Seems it is failing to me. So, I have two questions. Why does the weak battery reduce fuel economy? How is this possible? Which battery is a good replacement? Optima is mentioned quite a few times here and there on this site.

I will say I found nothing turned on or obviously left on from the day before. My wife says she may have triggered the ACC mode and left it there. Not sure. Doesn't the Prius turn off ACC mode after about 20 min? 7 Volts is just not a good thing. Thanks.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The higher voltage is quickly created by the inverter working in charging mode. It does not indicate the battery has been charged to that level. A bad battery will discharge much faster than a good battery. Generally a 7 V battery is damaged. Take it to an auto supply and have them run a load test. Then replace it if it fails.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Walmart now sells a AGM battery for the third generation Prius. They started selling it about a month ago. In my area the price is $160, and it is stocked in some stores near me. Go to Walmart's website and check availability in your area. I think this is the best value for your money.

The TruStart battery at a Toyota dealership is an excellent battery, but it will cost more than the Walmart battery.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#3 Brian1954, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    douglasjre and woodrow bryan like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to fully charge the battery

5. woodrow bryan

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, I believe the current battery is a TruStart. I will check out Walmart and see if it's available around here.

6. woodrow bryan

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Drove a few miles today, and the charge seems to be holding now at 12.78 volts. Will check it in the morning. Hopefully, we drained it somehow. I do know that a battery can't take that kind of discharge without some damage. Maybe a couple of times then it's probably lights out for good. Best to have a new battery in the wings.

bisco and douglasjre like this.
  7. woodrow bryan

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No go with Walmart. They claim nothing for the Prius.

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Get a harbor freight load tester and check the battery state. Do a parasitic drug test on the car as taught by Eric the car guy