1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JoanneR, Jun 4, 2010.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A couple of weeks ago, I described a problem I was having with my car. Briefly, the Toyota dealership said I needed a new 12-volt battery and you guys all agreed that I did. I had them install the battery and all is fine.

Yesterday, I got into a very low speed crash with a very large GMC truck (probably less than 5 mph). My car is going to need some body work on a back passenger door and wheel well.

I have gotten a good recommendation for a repair person. I want to make sure that that 12 volt battery is not discharged again. I suspect that he might have that back passenger door open a bit. I know I should make sure the interior light is in the off position (that is my default position anyway). Is there anything else I should be aware of to tell him? I don't want to have to pay another $200 for the battery/installation.

Thanks all. This is the first ding on my 2007 Prius.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have Smart Key system, you can turn it off using a button under the steering (near the knee).

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the best bet is to have the 12v battery disconnected... shouldn't be too hard.

4. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi: I am back from the auto body repair shop. The owner said they have worked on Priuses and that they would disconnect the battery from under the back seat. Does that sound reasonable?

5. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's reasonable, but it's not what you want. They're referring to the HV battery located under the rear seat (something you would want to disconnect if doing work near the orange HV cables...e.g. repairs). What you want disconnected is the 12v battery that you just had replaced.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FYI the 12v batter is located on the passenger side of the hatch area under the floor panel that tucked away in the very rear corner of the car.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And then make certain that whatever they disconnect to protect the 12V battery gets tightly re-connected again afterwards.

8. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have them remove the black, negative cable where it bolts to the chassis, not the battery, It is easy to do, and replace.