1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt battery replacement info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by romad, Apr 3, 2009.

1. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted this earlier today but the ENTIRE thread seems to have vanished.

Re: single beep upon shutdown
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiamiMurphy
    Thank. I disconnected SKS and there was no beep. I will now figure out how to replace the fob battery.

thanks again. There is another chain on this forum where it was speculated that it was the signal of a low 12 volt battery and that had me concerned. Kendall Toyota wants $285 to replace the 12 volt battery.

ML
    Here are a couple of links to replacing the 12v battery with an Optima Yellow Top:

http://elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-12V/ela/ela.html

http://evnut.com/prius_battery_optima.html

It looks like the elearnaid kit uses either an Optima D51 or D51R Yellow Top. I've emailed them to ask which one is used.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $285 is way high even for a dealer. Ask another one?

I expect my Optima to last a long time. Note that you will need every tool listed by eLearnaid to install it, and if you don't have a bench vise, a lot of hand strength to dis-assemble the Toyota positive terminal assembly.

3. romad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get the battery from elearnaid? Is it a D51 or D51R?

4. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The picture on Hobbit's page shows a D51. (The difference is that the R model has the positive and negative terminals swapped.).

5. romad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    elearnaid replied and said that a D51R wouldn't work.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the problem with having the terminals reversed is that they will be adjacent to the fender, so if your right rear fender is hit the battery might short out.

7. romad

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is that a standard battery has the + terminal on the right and the - terminal on the left. Reversed terminal batteries are + on left and - on right. Westco ran into this when they decided to market a battery for the Mazda Miata. They put out an AGM battery with standard terminals, but if you installed it so the - terminal was inside the fender next to the body, the cables barely reached. So Westco had to come out with a reversed terminal version. I guess if they used an Optima D51R they had the same cable reach problem so a D51 is used except that it is turned around and installed backwards so the cables will reach.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Uhh... whatever it is it fits properly (the cables reach easily and no danger of shorting out).

9. Chris Franks

Chris Franks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was no way that I was going to spend $170 for a 12-volt battery for my 2004 Prius, so I went to the local battery store and bought a 5-year Size 51 battery for $59.95. I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought a pair of marine terminals for it that have threaded posts and a butterfly nut on each one. That set me back another $2.94. Removal and installation took about 45 minutes, requiring only a 10 and 12 mm socket and a 5/16" drill.
    1. Remove the rear trunk cover and tray as if you were going to take out the spare tire.
    2. Remove the black air duct that goes over the battery. Two 10mm bolts, the one in the fender is self-threading.
    3. Remove the negative ground cable from the battery and the back frame (10mm)
    4. Remove the 12mm bolt and 10mm bolt that hold the black box down so you can push it aside a little.
    5. Remove the 10mm nut and 10mm bolt that hold the battery clamp-down bracket.
    6. Remove the positive battery clamp.
    7. Lift out the battery.
    8. Attach the marine terminals to the new battery, with the butterfly nuts removed..
    9. Remove the ground cable clamp nut and bolt and spread the clamp apart. Enlarge the clamp hole to 5/16"
    10. Put the new battery in place of the old one, with the terminals in the same relative position.
    11. Replace the battery clamp-down bracket.
    12. Replace the air duct
    13. Put the positive cable assembly over the positive terminal post and tighten the butterfly nut on it.
    14. Put the negative ground cable 5/16" hole over the negative terminal post and tighten the frame bolt, then the butterfly nut.
    15. Put the black box back and tighten it down.
    16. Check all fasteners for tightness.
    16. Replace tool tray and trunk floor.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Chris I would like to convince you to buy the correct battery.

Normal 12 batteries are 'flooded'. they contain a LOT of sulfuric acid. Toyota chose to put the 12 volt battery in the passenger compartment with you and your passengers. Any overcharging, minor accident, or short circuit could cause a lot of sulfuric acid to be flung all over your family. An AGM battery uses a glass mat to hold the sulfuric acid close to the lead plates, so MUCH less acid is available to splash around on bad days.

In various charging scenarios, mostly overcharging or overheating, explosive hydrogen gas is formed. This too will accumulate in the passenger compartment, unless you use a externally vented battery. Explosive gases and sulfuric acid just sound like a bad idea, most car manufacturers who use them put the 12 volt battery outside where it can't splash you and your passengers

Neither of these issues concern the car, they only concern you and you passengers. So far as I know only the OEM battery Toyota sells, the elearnaid kits and Optima's new made to fit Yellowtop are both AGM and externally vented. Do the right thing, protect your passengers (and yourself).

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...o-conversion-12-volt-battery.html#post1222395
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...shed-interstate-battery-30-a.html#post1363629

You can find other posts on this subject by Googling for stuff like site:priuschat.com flooded battery acid accident.