1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 Volt battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kente46, Mar 1, 2008.

1. kente46

kente46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

Been a member of this forum for awhile, just under another user name (couldn't log in).

I've got a 600 watt amp connected to my stereo and found out today that my 12 volt battery is very weak after only two years. I've got a 2006 Prius.

3 questions:

1) Does a suped up stereo system zap the 12 volt more?

2) I got a price today from the dealer for $190 (including installation). Is there anywhere else I can buy a 12 V without going through the dealer? $190 seems pretty steep.

3) Has anyone ever changed out the battery yourself?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ken

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Welcom to PC! There are several threads here on changing over to a more practicable battery. The original battery is a rip. You can buy an Optima (From Costco) sized for the Miata, for example, and you're good to go. You'll have to change over to SAE type U.S. (regular style) battery posts, which will cost an extra $15 or so. The search tool is a good thing. :p

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    battery's do have warranty
    so ask wy the battery failed after just 2 years.. and maybe the dealer will replace it free of charge

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Some sterio amps draw 1,000s of watts. Might be a valid point, if the dealer told them that the tiny 12v battery never was designed to do that ... or run space heater, a tig welder, a hydro electric plant, jump start a Peterbuilt ... well, you get the idea. These little 12v guys HAVE been known to become mortally wounded by simply leaving the door ajar / dome lite on.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also possible, and maybe more likely, that the car sat, undriven, for a few weeks after it was traded in at that dealer, then at wherever the auction was, then at the new dealer who did the inspection/clean-up, etc. And the battery easily could have drained due to inactivity then. Maybe it's just a routine thing they do with the used cars they sell if the battery is more than 24 months old or something.
    In any case, I highly doubt there's anything to suggest a problem.

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
  7. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can vouch for this - I have an '07 Prius, and my original 12 Volt battery died after I didn't drive the car for 3 weeks. It wouldn't hold a charge.

I got the Optima Yellow Top 51 (as sold by the folks at elearnaid.com) and their adaptor kit.

Not at all hard to replace the battery yourself and works like a charm!:first:

8. dublintaxi

dublintaxi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    when my car came in from Japan(6 weeks) it had the flattest battery in the world. so flat that it had to be taken out before it would start.
    It it was so drained it had shorted out.
    But its a great car.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    On the original question, big boy audio is only going to hurt Prius little battery if you use it when the car is 'off'. If you are in 'ready', battery damage would be quite unlikely.