1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12 volt outlet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by agile pagile, Mar 18, 2005.

1. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

What sort of converter can I plug into either 12 volt outlet. What types of equipment can I then use. I hope my question is clear. I guess I need to know how powerful of a converter I will need. I have a 2005 Seaside #6 that I lucked out on and bought the day that I saw it. Thanks very much, Pagile

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like you're asking the question backwards to me. What is it you want to plug into a 12v AC converter? Laptop? DVD player?

Just about any commercial converter with a 12v adapter should work fine. Most of the time they tell you how much 'juice' you get on the box and what kind of equiptment that much 'juice' will power.

3. mspencer

mspencer New Member

I think his question is more, what's the current capacity of those 12V outlets? How much amperage can you draw before you're in danger of blowing a fuse? What car subsystems share the same circuit?

He probably already knows you need an inverter rated for at least the VA rating of the equipment you're powering -- but if I plug a big honkin 750 watt inverter into the 12 volt outlet, then plug a 500 watt halogen work light into that and hit the switch, will a fuse pop?

(Not trying to put words in anyones' mouth here...sorry if I've misunderstood the original poster...)

--Spence

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The outlets have 15A dedicated fuses, but are rated for 120W or 10A. Toyota puts a margin of error/safety between max draw and fuse rating.