1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

125,000 mile / 8yr Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by BtotheG, Jan 23, 2010.

1. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I purchased my 2010 Prius on 12/30/09 (I am very very happy with the car so far and do not miss my 2003 Mercedes C230 except when I floor it to avoid danger). I ended up purchasing the 8 yr / 125,000 mile warranty for two reasons. The woman from the financial department, Sandra Broning or Toyota of Pasadena, said that the cost was $1995 and it would be $2995 the next day and that it was fully refundable for the first 60 days. Yes, I knew this was not true but I could not remember if Troy (TOG) offered an 8 yr warranty. I was all set to say no and buy the 7 yr / 100,000 mi warranty through this site, but she threw me that 8yr warranty curve ball. By the time we even started talking about warranties it was after 11:00 at night so when I heard the full refund within 60 days, I charged it. Actually, my sister and I both bought the same exact car but different colors (Prius V with AT package). When I told her about the warranty through this site, she was skeptical and when I said it was through "Warranty Shack" she was even more so - "Do you ever buy anything from a 'shack'? I don't buy anything at Radio Shack for that reason. Not to mention 95% of what they offer is of poor quality" :eek:. I couldn't argue with that so late at night!

I did a search of the forums for the latest info on the 8 yr warranty but couldn't find much that was recent. Is everyone going through Troy? or are other dealerships matching what Troy offers? Did anyone not think the extra money is worth that last year and purchase the 7 yr warranty (which looks to be around $600 less than the 8yr)?

I want the peace of mind that the extended warranty provides (along with the $0 deductible, free towing and free rental), so this thread isn't about buying it or not.

I look forward to hearing from each of you!

P.S. This site has been invaluable! Everyone is so helpful and supportive. I

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Troy/WarrantyShack.com is Toyota of Greenfield, MA. They are as authorized to sell Toyota extended warranties as your dealer.

I understand that Troy carries all versions of the Toyota extended warranties. FYI, for the Extra Care Platinum Plan there are 36 variations based on maximum years, maximum miles and with or without deductible.

Just go to that main extended warranty thread and get Troy's contact info, and then request a price quote from him for the 8 years/125,000 miles/$0 deductible warranty.

Troy charges $1055 for the 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible policy, which has a MSRP of $1850.

Based on this discount, I'm guessing that his price for the 8 years/125,000 miles/$0 deductible policy, which has a MSRP of $2425, will be around $1382.

In any event, if I were you, I'd cancel your extended warranty and get a full refund. To me, it makes no sense at all to buy the extended warranty until just before the basic warranty expires in 3 years or 36,000 miles. That way, you will have had almost 3 years or 36,000 miles experience with the car, and be better informed as to whether you think an extended warranty will be worth it, and which extended warranty to get in terms of maximum years and/or miles to fit your past and anticipated future use (the costs of the policies go up with each increment in maximum years or miles).

3. prius4driver

prius4driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 8 year warranty through Troy is $1215. Just got my receipt this week. I shopped local dealers and the closest I got was about $1600. My Toyota dealer didn't even offer the Toyota factory warranty and couldn't come up with the paperwork explaining just what the one they were selling would cover--and they wanted $1800 for it. Said sorry and walked on their offering. I checked with the service department to make certain they had no problem with the Toyota extended warranty--they said no problems.

4. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

First off, thanks for the info, Boo! I quote you below:

Prius4Driver, do you mind if I ask you which of the "36 variations based on maximum years, maximum miles and with or without deductible" did you purchase?

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota, Scion, Lexus are rated the number one most reliable cars in the world. They do not need extended warranties.

I just sold my 2000 4Runner with 305,000 miles. It had less than $1,000 in repairs over the life the vehicle. For the first 100,000 miles it had zero repairs.

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    comment deleted

7. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Based on my last car, I drove it on average 15,000 a year. That puts me at 120,000 miles in 8 years, so it fits right in....

8. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For those who purchase the warranty how many have used it and got your money's worth out of the warranty?

9. Mgar

Mgar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking about purchasing the extended warranty on my '09 Prius thru Troy. Does anyone know if there are state to state limitations on the warranty, since it is being sold out of Greenfield, MA?

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that the Toyota extended warranties, wherever purchased, must be honored by every Toyota dealership in the United States.

It's the Toyota prepaid maintenance agreements that Toyota dealers have the discretion to participate or not participate in.

1 person likes this.
  11. maryfrei

maryfrei New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this $1215 for the 8 year/125,000/zero deductible?

I was just quoted $1630 for that plan!

12. BtotheG

BtotheG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just talked to Sandra at Toyota of Pasadena and she just told me that it will take TWO MONTHS for her to refund my TWO GRAND for the overly charged warranty! On top of it, she won't be able to find out if she can match Troy till FRIDAY. I charged the warranty so now I have to pay it and wait for two months to get my money back.

Anyone purchasing a car through Toyota of Pasadena, DO NOT buy the warranty no matter what they say! That is poor customer service. How hard is it to refund a purchase?!

Outside of this debacle, I highly recommend Toyota of Pasadena so far..... Let's just say they are on thin ice.

13. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a refund of my warranty from Toyota Financial. It only took about a week. You have nothing to lose if you call Toyota Financial. Good luck.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're no different than other finance departments of dealers. They're the dealer's "Closer". Their sole purpose is to sell you financial products (whether you need them or not) at the highest possible price, by all necessary means, including lying and cheating.

If you only talked to her over the phone, I strongly suggest that you visit her in person and do NOT leave without receiving something in writing that acknowledges that you have canceled the extended warranty and that specifies the exact refund amount that you will be receiving (I believe there will be a small administrative fee -- maybe around $25 -- for canceling).

Also, in the future, do NOT disclose the names of PriusChat or WarrantyShack to your dealer. Doing so only causes PC and WS trouble, and might endanger the discounts we receive.

15. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With a Toyota or Honda, extended warranties are probably a waste of money. Just take that $1k - 2k and put it into a CD, basically self insure.

We bought an extended warranty on a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee we bought new. Best $700 we ever spent. It included coverage of the powertrain and major systems like electrical and HVAC. It did not include "wear" items (none do) or "trim" items. Probably had close to $5k in repairs during the extended warranty period.

If I were buying an American or German car, I'd seriously consider an extended warranty.

When we bought the Prius, the Jeep was traded in C4C which made it a very good deal even though they wouldn't discount the Prius a thin dime. The extended warranty was offered but it was not a hard sell because at first mention of it I just looked at the guy and said no way. I gave the guy a "don't waste your breath pal" look and he dropped it immediately.

16. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah. That price seems really low. I got a similar quote of around $1500 for the 8/125 and remember thinking the extra $500 over the $1000 for the 7/100 wasn't worth it. So I'm thinking that $1215 is actually for the 8/100k plan, which slots in the middle.

17. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you charged this on a charge card, dispute the charge with the credit card company, and don't waste you time screwing around with the dealer. Tell the CC company that the dealer refused to refund your money. You will be surprised how quickly that refund will materialize.

18. web1b

web1b Active Member

Yes, it doesn't make financial sense. Even if it paid for itself with big payouts on one of your vehicles, it wouldn't pay for itself if you bought an extended warranty on every car you owned over your lifetime and calculated premiums vs payouts over your lifetime. It's not like health insurance or homeowners insurance where one big claim can ruin your life and put you up to millions of dollars in debt.

However, the person said they wanted it just for peace of mind so they don't have to think about every possible repair the finance manager told him might happen (my salesman claimed if would cost $6000 to replace the nav if it needed repair).
    So, as an alternative to Ambien or tranquilizers for 8 years, it might be worth it to the original poster.

19. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I can chime in with my ACTUAL experience with the Platinum 7 year, 100K warranty. I had a 2004 Prius (2nd gen), I bought it on 10/28/2003 or so, I had 10 months or so left on the 7 year warranty, and 20K miles (car had 80K @ trade in). I originally paid $925 back in Oct 2003 for the warranty, in my almost 7 years of owning the Prius, I had only 2 issues:

Had to replace the 12V AGM battery ($150, not covered by the platinum warranty)
    There was a recall on the coolant storage pump, it was coverged under a Toyota TSB (Technical Service Bulletin/Recall)
    There had been numerous other recalls, for things, all covered by Toyota.

In the end, I didn't end up using the extended warranty, and I will be getting about $75 back (they prorate it based on time left or mileage left, whichever is less, minus a $25 processing fee)

so in my particular case, I had the first year of the Gen2, and didn't end up really needing the extended warranty at all. I have priced out the 7 year, 100K from Troy, and I might consider it closer to the 3 year/36,000 expiration of the standard warranty, depedning upon how the car does in the next 36 months.

I traded in my 2004 Prius, for a 2010 Gen3, also the first year of a new generation, so that tells you something, doesn't it? :)

Mitch

20. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are 100% correct.

You are 100% correct again, as the sales person states (sales person AKA: one that tells lies to make a deal) 'It gives you a piece of mind'.

A few great sayings that come to mind. ‘Always pray on fear’, ‘The House always wins’ and P. T. Barnum claim to fame 'There's a Sucker Born Every Minute'