1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$1270 saved on Fuel so far in 11 months

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Sep 19, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got curious and crunched some numbers tonight. I'm still 1 month away from a full year of driving my Prius in exchange for my '97 Ford Expedition, but thought I'd see how much I've saved on fuel.

Miles Driven: 12,500

Prius MPG: 50.4
    Expedition MPG: 12 (13 on a really good day!)

Prius Fuel used (actual): 248 gallons
    Expedition Fuel used assuming 12mpg : 1042

Total Fuel savings: 794 gallons (enough to fuel 3 more Prii !!)

Cost of Fuel (Using $1.60/gallon (probably conservative))
    Prius : $397
    Expedition : $1667

Total Estimated Fuel Cost Savings: $1270

Should be very close to $1400 in fuel savings. I realize using the Expedition is a little unfair, but the truth is that if I hadn't liked the Prius so much a year and a half ago or if I'd have heard enough bad things, or even if I'd have found out we were having a 3rd child a few months earlier I probably would have replaced the Expedition with another, new, Expedition. Also, I still drive the Expedition, a little bit. For our annual ski trip to Colorado, for hauling big junk, for fishing trips, and in bad winter weather....probably about 3k miles per year max.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Evan your probably a candidate for the Escape Hybrid. Room for the 5 of you and awd as well. Plus a bit more room, whether or not there is enough room for the ski holiday with all the gear I'm not sure as I've never looked at an Escape close up. The rumour is that they'll get 29 miles to the gallon. EPA estimate Your Mileage May Vary, but probably better than the Expedition, just a thought.

3. Frank Hudon

Oh and fuel saved driving Prius, Chevron must have figured we died. One month both cars, gas bill $62.18, that would have been 2 weeks in my Tundra.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Frank,
    I've looked closely at the Escape, but I don't think it would be of much use to me right now. My wife drives a Mini-van--hate's it only b/c it's a minivan. We'll almost certainly be getting a Highlander Hybrid in '06 to replace the mini-van and hanging onto the Prius and the Expedition. The trade-in/resale value is terrible (maybe 9 grand) and the value to me as a "knock-around" vehicle is much better.

5. Frank Hudon

I know what you mean, I considered a beater pickup but decided on a trailer and if need a pickup I'll just rent one for the occasional time I do.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

After 7 months with my Prius (and 15,000 miles) I've saved $730 compaired to my 2000 Dodge Neon, using Evan's conservative price of $1.60/gallon.

Oh, and oil changes - lets see, I've spent $60 for oil at most for the 3 I've had done, where with the Neon I'd have done 5 oil changes done in the same period at $30 each, making a savings of $90 there too.

-m.

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Less than 6 months and my fuel savings to date are 1051.20 compared to the f-150 I used to drive.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've seen the magazine articles so I KNOW the facts. It will take about 10 years to recover the $2K extra it costs to buy a hybrid. You guys must all be lying because you don't want to admit you were taken in by the hype. ;-) :lol: I hope to join you soon. Dang, when is David going to call with that VIN!

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"40658)</div>
    To be fair, when the say that in the articles they're clearly comparing other mid-sized fuel-economic vehicles and basing the numbers on EPA estimates. Still, when you compare the "other vehicles a driver would have actually purchased" to the Prius clearly the savings is dramatic.

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

And not only that, but between myself, Evan, and Ray, we're all getting 10% of our EPA estimate. Having just the display helps you become a more efficient driver, if only for the "fun" of it.

-m.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Need to remember what Prii do for air quality compared to standard ICE vehicles. Not only do Prii consume less fuel, the aerodynamics mean less air disturbance for less particulate matter (PM2.5) emitted and stirred up.

Too many treat the atmosphere as the "tragedy of the commons" where everyone derives benefits, but no one has responsibility. Prii treat the air better and provide a constructive alternative for the average person.

So the savings is much greater than just the cost of fuel.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I picked up my car yesterday. 134 miles home from the dealer. Temps in the 70s, country road 30 - 55 mph depending on the area, not many stops, then 69 mph on the interstate for 40 minutes. The EPA numbers are all wrong, instead of 55 mpg combined, I only got 54.3. ;-)

Someone really has to kill that class action suit. Another case of whiney americans blaming someone else and suing just because they can.