1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

127K new batteries now transmission needs replacement

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Unhappy2001owner, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Unhappy2001owner

Unhappy2001owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have advice for me? May had to replace my batteries now today with only 127,000 miles dealer said the transmission and the part dealing with the computer and the transmission needs to be replaced. So if I do this I've sunk $11,000 into my 2001 Pirus. I have stayed up with all maintenance at the dealership. I've ran my VW into the ground after 20 plus years and barely changed the oil and never had this kind of expense. I am very unhappy. Please give me your advice and thoughts. Thanks for any insight ... Unhappy in San Diego

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd take the money you were going to use for the repair and buy a used ten year old VW.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think that's to much to spend for repairs on a 2001 Prius. If you have not done so get another opinion from a different dealer.

If it turns out that's what it really would cost to fix it consider buying another car.

EDIT: Just noticed you are from California, isn't the battery and the other parts covered under the warranty? It should be covered as part of the emissions control system for 150K miles or 10 years in your state.

4. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear that. That is a hefty cost. How much can you get for your car as is? If it was me, I would seriously consider getting a new car before spending that on repairs.

5. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tumbleweed makes a very good point. I thought CARB required the 150k/10 yr warrantee. You are clearly under both. I would refer to your warrantee manual and point it out to the dealer.

6. SilverPriusIII

SilverPriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [quot e=pfreeus;936722]Tumbleweed makes a very good point. I thought CARB required the 150k/10 yr warrantee. You are clearly under both. I would refer to your warrantee manual and point it out to the dealer.[/quote]

Don't know about 2001. My 2010 Warrenty book under Ca Emission warrenty, it has a footnode on the Hybrid battery and a few component which said they are covered by the Hybrid warrenty which is 8yr/100K. ??? Don't think the computer and transmission are covered by the Ca Emission.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The transaxle is 60k warranty (don't blame the messenger...)

Call Toyota at 800-331-4331 and politely explain the whole story (including your HV battery replacement). Get a case number. Call them several times. Tell them your thousands of PriusChat friends share your hope that Toyota will once again come to the aid of an early Prius adopter. Tell them your desire to report here that Toyota's reliability reputation continues to be enhanced by such acts of generosity.

Lay it on thick. It has worked before. Not always, but often enough to be worth the effort.

Failing all that, your choices are pay the full price, gamble on a used transaxle from the salvage vehicle dismantlers (uncertain cost and who will install it?), or sell as is. All this assumes that the current shop has the correct diagnosis.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.