1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Accessory port/Cig Lighter not working after attempt to wire in extra ports

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by CptnDriveThru, Apr 22, 2015.

1. CptnDriveThru

CptnDriveThru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried hard-wiring in an extra 2 12V ports (in one package with a single +/- set coming out of them) into my 02' Prius. I was going to put them into the cubby area under the AC controls so they'd be out of sight, and I wanted them to only be powered on when the regular 12V port was on, i.e when the key was turned to ACC or the car otherwise running, so I tried tapping into the 2 lead wires in parallel going to the existing 12V port instead of going straight to the battery. I figured I could avoid attaching an inline fuse since the existing port was already fused.

Well, the 2 port add-on had power for all of a second before going dark, and now the existing 12V port won't work either even after detaching the add-on and covering up the spots where I tapped the wires with electrical tape. I already replaced the cabin fuse (which didn't appear blown) designated for the cig lighter but it still won't work. Is there a fuse under the hood that could also be affecting this, or another fuse in the cabin I don't know about? Nothing else wonky has happened electrically with the car and I've driven a few months and several thousand miles since this happened. I don't care about adding in the other ports at this point, I just want to get my existing port back up and running so I can charge my phone in the car again. Any other ideas?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I would just look up your aux port circuit and whatever fuses/relays might be upstream using the wiring diagram online at techinfo.toyota.com, one place to look and be sure you find the right answers.

BTW for anybody thinking of tapping into this circuit, if I remember right the factory socket itself is built with screw terminals, so it's very easy to fit your tap wiring with small ring terminals and attach them there, and not have to do any splicing in the factory harness. I'll post pics if I remember.

-Chap

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is how I did it:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, from your photo I'm not sure I can tell what you did. But here's what I meant about using ring terminals and the threaded stud on the lighter socket, no mods to the stock wiring:
    pwrsock.jpg

-Chap

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just I've been there and done that. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson