1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Aux Battery Drain - when off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by boom27, Feb 25, 2008.

1. boom27

boom27 New Member

I have a 2004 Prius. It was side swiped while parked. The driver side front fender and front bumper had to be replaced. I have received the car back from the body shop. The radio now cuts in and out when hitting a bump and the 12V aux battery is being drained overnight (nothing was left on). Any recommendations on where to start checking for the problem? I will take it back to the body shop but wanted to give them some insight.

TIA

Boom27

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Are you or they are up to making millamp current measurements when the car is off?

Before you put your meter in series, jumper around it because when you complete the circuit there is a big inrush (and visible spark). This has cost a few meter fuses for your predecessors, myself included, if skip the jumper part :D.

Now, with all light bulbs etc. off, you should see about 30 milliamps typical with a few higher peaks. If your Prius has that SKS switchoff thing, it will cause a decrease.

If you are seeing steady drain very much above 50 milliamps, something is amiss. The only clue where to start looking is in the vicinity or your damage area. A wild guess might be that one of the door close switches is not being pushed in completely now.

No idea on the radio thing, but maybe when you get the 12 v sorted out, it will stop happening.