1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v battery cap

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusKyle, Jul 14, 2023.

1. PriusKyle

PriusKyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,
    Recently I noticed that my 2011 Prius’ 12v positive terminal cap cover(red, too part) was missing; it must have been one of the mechanics who wasn’t careful, etc.
    Anyway, is this red positive plastic cap essential or critical? In all my years of seeing the 12v batteries in cars, never came across one that had a protective plastic cover over the terminal.
    Is Toyota bring overly cautious and/or is this a Prius thing? Concerned first on safety aspect than functional.
    Thx!

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not critical, but they have prevented problems in the past.

Probably worth digging one out of a junkyard. Probably not worth figuring out how to source a new one.

PriusKyle and Doug McC like this.
  3. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    It was probably initially installed to help people by letting them know which post was positive and which was negative so they wouldn’t hook up jumper cables backwards. However, recent posts on PC has proven that not to be an effective deterrent. If you can determine which post is positive and which is negative, you probably don’t need to worry about it.

PriusKyle likes this.